Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-06-30, 01:05

Like I said, you either need to use a USB midi cable that you connect to a MIDI port on your PC or you use the WiFi MIDI variant when both the iPad and the computer are in the same network. MacOSX supports network MIDI by default (Audio-Midi Configuration->Window->Show Midi Window->Double-Click "Network"). For windows you need something like this to connect: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html Also again, read the manual of the App.
Old 2012-06-30, 01:17

Not sure how to solve your connectivity issues...

If you are into alternate tuning and chord shapes you might try Musix from Shiverware.
http://www.shiverware.com/
DEADPsalm Syndicate is on Facebook
Old 2013-01-29, 21:16

Did you ever figure this out?! Trying to do the same, but really struggling to find anything...!
Old 2013-01-29, 22:16

Hi,

I use reason retouch duo with loopbe30 on windows with an adhoc wireless setup.
Works seamlessly, why not look at the retouch website and check the tutorials , seems like something like this which is purposely made for Reason would be easier for you.

DK
Old 2013-01-30, 18:11

Animoog can play as a controller as well, with the paid midi out upgrade. RSTouch is simply amazing, a musthave if you own a pad and reason. Other than that theres seriously way too many apps to list. Try poking around the app store a bit, never know what you might find in there.
Old 2013-01-31, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleb View Post
I don't have midi inputs, I am using a apogee duet.

I tried this to see if it works:

I hooked up the ipad
to the video connector
to a usb to midi cable
to a hardware synth

and it controls the hardware synth fine, but that is not what I am wanting to do

I am wanting to use the ipad as a midi controller for reason.

So this is how i am doing it:
I hooked up the ipad
to the video connector
to usb to usb cable
to my comp

It is not picking up, reason is not recognizing it at all.
I was thinking that the video connector cable was going to treat the ipad somewhat like a usb midi controller, from what I was reading online, maybe I am wrong? or is there a way to set it up like that, without dropping a ton of cash?
thanks

You have this?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot2-USB-TO-...item51a3d6f64a

And one of these?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-C...item35c3e7fff9

Get one of these or something like it 1 in 1 out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Midi...item2a28c343fa

Done

This works on PC anyway.. I have it up and running. Look around further though as you may get cheaper. Saves you from creating networks and all that. Just works. The guys probably mentioned them. But its pretty quick to get up and running so I thought I would just chime in. Good luck (iPad + Reason = HOURS of ENDLESS FUN!!!)
Old 2013-01-31, 22:14

Sorry the example is 2 in 2 out, But you get my drift. I have an old MIDIMAN 1 in 1 out.(Now called M AUDIO I fink?) one I got for sweet fanny adams.
Old 2013-02-01, 02:06

Best solution I've found is a dedicated iOS i/o device for MIDI. There are a good few options out there now. I use an IK iRig MIDI. You really need MIDI input on your computer. For this I would suggest a cheap USB MIDI interface such as the one suggested above. Then your good to go without having to worry about Wi-Fi connection and adding your device to a network. I'm sure this is easy enough to do and works fine. But directing interfacing sounds better to me Once set-up there are too many MIDI control Apps to mention here! Certainly no shortage of choice but Lemur mentioned above is incredible.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi/

http://www.idesignsound.com/apps/ios...-apps/?sort=18
Old 2013-02-01, 02:45

The advantage of Lemur is that you can select any midi output or input that is available on any computer in your network that runs the lemur server, you do not need to "connect" the two midi devices or anything like with apples rtpMIDI, you just select a MIDI output like you would on your computer, only that you have those of *all* your computers at your disposal Add to that its multi-client capable.
Old 2013-02-01, 13:52

Just a quick comment on the iPad and USB MIDI devices. Some USB MIDI interfaces are not fully compliant with the MIDI specification. The most common issue we have seen (and others have reported) is that the interface will not properly handle SYSEX messages. The failures range from ignoring/dropping the SYSEX messages, corrupting the data, and in some instances "crashing" the USB MIDI interface when SYSEX data occurs frequently. Some seem to work "OK" as long as the SYSEX commands do not happen too frequently. This latter type of unreliability can be troublesome because it may look like there is an issue with your controller or Reason when in fact its just an occasional MIDI interface error.

SYSEX may seem like something you can avoid when using the iPad to control Reason, and this is true if what you are after are faders, knobs, and buttons to map to Reason controls. But if you wish to display information from Reason like track names or other labels SYSEX enters the picture. For example the Lemur's "LCD" display widget uses the Mackie Control's SYSEX commands to receive the text it displays.

If you have any plans to use the iPad to control hardware synths and the like then SYSEX becomes even more essential. Many synths, especially those made in the 80's and 90's, rely on SYSEX instead of MIDI Control Change commands (CC) to send and receive parameters. For example Yamaha's DX series synths only use SYSEX.

By the way this is not an iOS specific issues. The USB MIDI interfaces we have tested that failed with the iPad also failed when used as a MIDI interface for the computer.

Douglas Kraul
Harmony Systems, Inc.
http://www.delora.com
Developer of rsTouch