Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-02-11, 08:27

A good article from Sound on Sound about visual aids (specifically in Logic)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...-tech-0311.htm

Talk to any engineer worth his salt and they’ll tell you that using your ears is the only way to gauge the quality of a recording. Some will also add that any visual information can actually be misleading; indeed, some will go so far as to turn off their computer displays when mixing. As an example, I’ve noticed that when the playhead passes an edit point, I’ll often imagine there’s an audible click when there isn’t.

Visual aids can come into their own when comparing commercial tracks with your own tracks, solving phase issues or placing audio in the surround space. However, ears can deceive, and Logic Pro contains a veritable virtual workshop of meters and tools to assist you. And, as they are CPU‑light, you can place lots of them around your signal chain for maximum usefulness.
Old 2012-02-11, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko101 View Post
When it comes to EQing I have to admit that I really like an idea FL Studio creators come up in their "Parametric EQ 2" plugin. What they did is basically integrating Parametric EQ with FFT Spectral Analysis tool in one layered window! As simple as it may look, you have to start using it to acctually see what an ingenious concept that is (a 'micro-revolution' as I like to call it). You can immediatelly see and correct any peaks in Spectrum Window and overlay it with an appropriate EQ curve. No need to use separate FFT and EQ windows/plugins. There are probably similar plugins based on this concept with differnet types of EQs, but this is the winning solution Props should consider if they think about more useful/advanced FFT implementation.
I've seen this and it's cool for sure (maybe a micro evolution, not revolution) - but why do you feel you must "correct" all "peaks"? I've watched videos where they show you an FFT display with 'peaks', then proceed to EQ out the tone and body of the sound (the good bits) because these were the 'peaks' - this was how they were teaching you to use an FFT to EQ (very odd IMO).

Most peaks in a frequency response plot are GOOD, in the case of musical audio - have you heard what a sound without any peaks (a perfectly flat frequency response) sounds like - white noise. Just curious what you're going for with this concept of removing "peaks". :-)
USA
Old 2012-02-11, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
A good article from Sound on Sound about visual aids (specifically in Logic)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...-tech-0311.htm

Talk to any engineer worth his salt and they’ll tell you that using your ears is the only way to gauge the quality of a recording. Some will also add that any visual information can actually be misleading; indeed, some will go so far as to turn off their computer displays when mixing. As an example, I’ve noticed that when the playhead passes an edit point, I’ll often imagine there’s an audible click when there isn’t.

Visual aids can come into their own when comparing commercial tracks with your own tracks, solving phase issues or placing audio in the surround space. However, ears can deceive, and Logic Pro contains a veritable virtual workshop of meters and tools to assist you. And, as they are CPU‑light, you can place lots of them around your signal chain for maximum usefulness.
Very true, this.
:-)
USA
Old 2012-02-11, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Very true, this.
:-)
I think the bottom line is ears, eyes a bit of common sense and experience and your laughing
Old 2013-01-11, 10:47

All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy,
Old 2013-01-11, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper0013 View Post
All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy, All work and no Frequency Analyzer makes Johny a dull boy,

not for much longer bud

Check out this link...https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=174266

ReQ·131 in the RE Store:
http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...31-31-band-eq/

Lab:One Recordings (C) 2011-2012
http://www.lab-one-recordings.co.uk
Old 2013-01-29, 18:04

Spectrum analysis

I watched a Studio One tutorial video by William Edstrom, jr courtesy of Groove3 and he demonstrated an EQ analyser using S1 tone generator and Voxengo Span to see just what an EQ plugin is doing and I was wondering if this could be done with Reason's Main console for the same purpose.
Old 2013-02-01, 23:36

You can create a spectrum analyzer very basic but functional with the BV512 vocoder, a line mixer, and a spider audio, with a bit of genius and connecting the master out the modulator input (microphone) of the BV512 vocoder.