Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-05, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffer View Post
Interface set to 44.1kHz.........I exported at 192kHz and 24-bit.......any clues anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skie View Post
Export to the same kHZ and bit rate as your settings in Reason. If you want the export to sound exactly the same then export to the same setting as you have in Reason.
Was about to suggest that as a last solution/test: What happens if you export with the same settings (bit depth and sample rate) being used on your audio interface?
Old 2013-02-05, 16:03

Anyone know if this could be a result of clipping? Are you clipping on the master level meter?
Old 2013-02-06, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshdukai View Post
Was about to suggest that as a last solution/test: What happens if you export with the same settings (bit depth and sample rate) being used on your audio interface?
Yep, it appears that this was the issue. I've set my export settings to match project play settings and the wavs sounds just as detailed as the project file......seems counterintuitive though as I would have thought that exporting at a higher resolution wouldn't make it sound poorer......cheers guys!!.....from now on I'm going to stick to exporting at 44.1khZ/16Bit
Old 2013-02-06, 00:47

Ok way too many replies to read.

Just turn off dithering and it's fixed.

OK read through a few other replies. Yeah, exporting in the same settings as your audio driver could work as well.

Last edited by DjVinnie91; 2013-02-06 at 00:49.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffer View Post
Yep, it appears that this was the issue. I've set my export settings to match project play settings and the wavs sounds just as detailed as the project file......seems counterintuitive though as I would have thought that exporting at a higher resolution wouldn't make it sound poorer......cheers guys!!.....from now on I'm going to stick to exporting at 44.1khZ/16Bit
Best option in our opinion.... export ALWAYS at same samplerate & bitrate you are working at, ie if you are working ay 96/24 then export at that

Also.. if using Ozone as your mastering 'dither' etc, export at set samplerate and ALWAYS* export at 24bit, because Ozone does the 16bit dithering within the 24bit. In Ozone manual it also then says to down-bitrate in another sample editing program, to ensure the rendered audio matches the Ozone bitrate / noise dither correctly, and not via Reason's own algorithms.

Ozone do some awesome manuals too for this

* my mistake.. only render out of Reason at 24 bit if you want other bitrates than 16 or 24bit... see post further down

Last edited by LABONERECORDINGS; 2013-02-06 at 17:41.
Old 2013-02-06, 17:14

Emphasis mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABONERECORDINGS View Post
Also.. if using Ozone as your mastering 'dither' etc, export at set samplerate and ALWAYS export at 24bit, because Ozone does the 16bit dithering within the 24bit.
Wait a sec here - I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. if you add dither at 16 bits there's no reason to export at 24 bits. The only reason to add dither at 16 bits is so you CAN export at 16 bits. Did I misunderstand what you were saying? :-)
USA
Old 2013-02-06, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Emphasis mine:

Wait a sec here - I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. if you add dither at 16 bits there's no reason to export at 24 bits. The only reason to add dither at 16 bits is so you CAN export at 16 bits. Did I misunderstand what you were saying? :-)
Ah my mistake.... Ozone RE manual says turn ON dither type algorithm on OZONE RE and turn OFF Reason's dither on export, to prevent Dithering twice on audio file, else you get Ozone's 16bit dither > Reason's 16bit dither > final file. You ideally want one or the other. To get Ozone to be the 'master dither' chain it directly after the master section in Reason then Ozone to Audio Hardware Output directly (it's what I do anyway)

Also, if you want Ozone's 8bit, 12Bit or 20bit dithers then export from Reason in 24bit, and then re-bitrate set in another software, to ensure no quality loss. Last page in the manual

Ozone User Guide here
Old 2013-02-07, 12:03

That's really useful Labone....thanks very much!!