Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-07, 11:59

Hartmann Neuron RE

I've recently re-discovered this amazing synthesizer after first seeing it when it came out some years ago now. Maybe back then I thought it was a bit too complex & esoteric. But these days, with the kinds of music I like & sounds I'm into, I think this looks like an amazing synth. And best of all it's a different concept to the commonplace subtractive analogue type synth or anything else that we have in the Reason rack. It's a pretty unique & amazing machine & for this reason alone I think it would be very cool to have something like this in the Reason rack But it looks like an amazing sound design tool that works in a different way to most of synths out there I think. Could be amazing as an RE

Last edited by Dogboy1973; 2013-02-07 at 12:01.
Old 2013-02-07, 12:23

It's not that the Hartmann Neuron is over-rated: it's that it never worked long enough for anyone to be able to rate it!

One of the original Neuron designers bought back the rights from whatever mess it ended up in several years ago, but to my knowledge has done sod all with it.

The problem with doing the Neuron in software is that it uses some intense mathematics, and is unlikely to work well with RE - I mean, just look at the amount of bitching PX7 gets in limiting automation ability in order to improve. The original keyboard with it's Celeron processor didn't handle it very well, and the VST beta version barely worked at all.

Still, it would be interesting to hear it again on a modern PC - they're probably powerful enough to actually be able to do it now. But I can't imagine it running well as an RE, however cool it would be to see it resurrected there.
Old 2013-02-07, 12:40

So it didn't really work all that well by the sounds of it? Shame because it sounds incredibly interesting & it's nice to have something that isn't a subtractive analogue, VA, workstation or ..... well, that's about all synth manufacturers bother with these days. You don't see much like the Hartmann Nueron around. Maybe there's a good reason for that? In any case I'm quite taken aback with this thing again. Maybe an RE based on this idea? Please? Pretty please? I just think it would be really cool to have something like this in the rack
Old 2013-02-07, 14:07

yes please!

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ghlight=Neuron
Old 2013-02-07, 15:14

I'd much rather see Malström II with stuff like one shaper per filter (switchable pre/post filter) with added new filter algorithms and support for adding your own wavetables/waves/samples. A new polyphonic unison mode (like i.e. impOSCar 2 with up to 8 voices stacked in unison, but still polyphonic) and finally a mod matrix that is as powerful as Thor's, so that you can route any of the modulators and envelopes to any parameter you like with support for linear FM. etc. etc.

It will never happen though.
Old 2013-02-07, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
It's not that the Hartmann Neuron is over-rated: it's that it never worked long enough for anyone to be able to rate it!

One of the original Neuron designers bought back the rights from whatever mess it ended up in several years ago, but to my knowledge has done sod all with it.

The problem with doing the Neuron in software is that it uses some intense mathematics, and is unlikely to work well with RE - I mean, just look at the amount of bitching PX7 gets in limiting automation ability in order to improve. The original keyboard with it's Celeron processor didn't handle it very well, and the VST beta version barely worked at all.

Still, it would be interesting to hear it again on a modern PC - they're probably powerful enough to actually be able to do it now. But I can't imagine it running well as an RE, however cool it would be to see it resurrected there.

I know the Neuron VST with Nuke Controller had a hideous Memory leak issue but I didn't think the Neuron was all that buggy - they sold very few units though (David Sylvian) used one for quite a while - you can hear it all over Blemish for example.
Old 2013-02-07, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomecron View Post
I know the Neuron VST with Nuke Controller had a hideous Memory leak issue but I didn't think the Neuron was all that buggy - they sold very few units though (David Sylvian) used one for quite a while - you can hear it all over Blemish for example.
Maybe thats because it was incredibly expensive and did not what it set out to do originally and what was extensively advertized and hyped by Hartmann. Reviews concluded that it was OK but not what it was supposed to be and for that slightly overpriced... on paper a very interesting concept though, I agree!
Old 2013-02-07, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomecron View Post
I picked up a Neuron VST with Nuke Controller as a curio several months ago but couldn't get it to install correctly (it couldn't find the presets/waves in the folder it tells you to set it up into).

I think it only works with a particular build of XP that was available for about 40 minutes in 2004! Which is about ten minutes longer than the Neuron VST was on sale .

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2013-02-07 at 16:27.
Old 2013-02-07, 16:29

I don't post much here (I just lurk really) so hope you don't mind me chiming in. I'm pretty interested in
this idea. If I'm correct, the VST version was like 500 quid. Even so, I was tempted to get it but the bugs and lack of subsequent fixes put me off. Then finally of course, Hartmann went tits up.

The Neuron sounds really far-out. And the controls are mental. I would dearly love to have this in my Reason rack. Cool idea.
Old 2013-02-07, 17:17

By the way, I think the Neuron technology belongs to Prosoniq now.