Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-09, 03:36

Give us the tools we need

We need utilities! Give us a six or an eight band parametric EQ of a quality nature with different selectable EQ curves and filters. We need noise reduction utilities. We need a mono switch on the master out. We need better compressors and limiters. We need channel grouping. We do not really need anymore instruments from you, leave those to the RE developers so if people want more junk they can have it. I believe that Reason does not have the capabilities that most D.A.W's have....and I believe this because I use your software! but your software forces me to use other software with far superior editing capabilities and better utilities. If you would only put your focus into these areas I also believe you might just take the D.A.W world to a new level in combination with what Reason already has. Please listen to us! and stop with all the useless bullshit devices that don't really do anything but ruin good audio. Make us believe that your company cares about everyone of your customers not just the music makers. Who knows, maybe we'll see some more capability in another 10 years or so.
Old 2013-02-09, 04:20

I'd like another synth or two in Reason 7...
Old 2013-02-09, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
I'd like another synth or two in Reason 7...
There is not a single RE developer who'd like another synth in Reason 7. Props simply can't do that now. You see Props have the advantage that they could do techniques in Reason native that they and the rest of us can't (yet?) do in RE.

If they did another native synth now, especially one with features not available in RE, it would be like all RE devs co-funding a PH product that they're unable to create themselves and to compete with.

The same goes with other devices types. How would Blamsoft feel if R7 had a midi-2-cv splitter? How would Brian feel if R7 had an AutoArp clone? How would I feel if R7 had super-spiders?

This isn't like VST: Props earn money on every plugin device sold.

So Props can sell new RE devices in the Shop, but it would be a massively unfair advantage to bundle them free in Reason upgrades. They'd be insane to try it.

So I imagine R7 will be under-the-hood enhancement and usability upgrades, you know, like, um, Midi Out perhaps?! Heck, if we're lucky we might get ReXen!

@OP: there's a wide selection of excellent utilities, compressors, limiters and equalisers in the PropShop.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2013-02-09 at 12:51.
Old 2013-02-09, 16:37

+1 for the basic tools : editing, grouping, mp3 import, etc. Now we have the proper shop if we want extra synths or plugs BUT basic tools are too old now. Midi out is the missing link
Old 2013-02-09, 17:02

Quote:
Make us believe that your company cares about everyone of your customers not just the music makers.
?

Like all the carpenters that use Reason? And the bakers? And the swordsmiths?
Old 2013-02-09, 17:05

+1
I think what we have seen as far as instruments from Propellerhead and others have been cool, but not mind blowing. There are clearly still limitations to the RE SDK. They understand better than anyone the structure of Reason and should focus more on the structure with tools and utilities to improve the system (more so than instruments...meanwhile updating the SDK to allow more powerful instrument plugins to come onboard, like Zebra).

I don't want to see Propellerhead completely halt development of instruments, but as you said, there are more important things (especially from those who manage the DAW).
Old 2013-02-09, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exowildebeest View Post
?

Like all the carpenters that use Reason? And the bakers? And the swordsmiths?
What he means is Reason can be used by audio engineers for mixing, mastering, sound design, etc. (not everyone opens Reason to make music).
Old 2013-02-09, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
There is not a single RE developer who'd like another synth in Reason 7. Props simply can't do that now. You see Props have the advantage that they could do techniques in Reason native that they and the rest of us can't (yet?) do in RE.

If they did another native synth now, especially one with features not available in RE, it would be like all RE devs co-funding a PH product that they're unable to create themselves and to compete with.

The same goes with other devices types. How would Blamsoft feel if R7 had a midi-2-cv splitter? How would Brian feel if R7 had an AutoArp clone? How would I feel if R7 had super-spiders?

This isn't like VST: Props earn money on every plugin device sold.

So Props can sell new RE devices in the Shop, but it would be a massively unfair advantage to bundle them free in Reason upgrades. They'd be insane to try it.

So I imagine R7 will be under-the-hood enhancement and usability upgrades, you know, like, um, Midi Out perhaps?! Heck, if we're lucky we might get ReXen!

@OP: there's a wide selection of excellent utilities, compressors, limiters and equalisers in the PropShop.
I don't agree with what you're saying. I'd like props to revamp a few stock devices, RPG8, Mclass suite, Malstrom possibly and any other stock devices that would benefit from a revamp. But that's not allowed? You RE developers are allowed to update your devices so why can't the props?
If propellerhead include two new devices in the reason 7 upgrade that kicked ass, not possible in the current SDK, I would be much happier than paying more money for RE's that don't come close.
But I think you are right that props will focus on the other aspects of reason, features like auto-rex slicing, video sync etc.. Rather than actual devices.
Kind of annoying that RPG8 won't get the update though because I don't want autoarp, I want an updated RPG8.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:49

I went to a propeller head seminar and they then said that their goal is to improve the workflow with every single update they release.
And it seems about right that now that you can buy your RE we don't need new instruments. What we need, and what Reason needs to be able to keep it up with Pro Tools and Logic for example, is better workflow, better editing. And I think they now that.

- Mono Button on Master Channel
- Bypass ALL Inserts and all mixer settings-button (For quick comparison with you raw material)
- Tab to transient
- Slicing all transients and snap to grid. Reason has a great algorithm for stretching audio, USE THAT!
- Sub groups
- Faster and easier way to make to mono tracks to a stereo-file
- Mp3 import/export
- Different kinds of solos. Don't remember the name for it but you now the solo when you solo next track, the recently soloed track mutes.
-More color choices for sequencer clips.
- Automation ability on Re-Grove Faders.
Old 2013-02-09, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyF View Post
I went to a propeller head seminar and they then said that their goal is to improve the workflow with every single update they release.
And it seems about right that now that you can buy your RE we don't need new instruments. What we need, and what Reason needs to be able to keep it up with Pro Tools and Logic for example, is better workflow, better editing.
Completely agree, I just don't think they should abandon the idea of updating their current devices because some of their stock devices need it. Propellerhead themselves release new devices and it's good because people can choose wether they want it or not. I want to get radical piano because it adds something new to the rack and is pretty awesome but I wouldn't expect something like that to be part of a reason 7 upgrade.
Rack device updates don't even need to be part of a major update to be honest, maybe a reason 6.6 with just some devices seeing an overhaul.