Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-02-09, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I don't agree with what you're saying. I'd like props to revamp a few stock devices, RPG8, Mclass suite, Malstrom possibly and any other stock devices that would benefit from a revamp. But that's not allowed? You RE developers are allowed to update your devices so why can't the props?
If propellerhead include two new devices in the reason 7 upgrade that kicked ass, not possible in the current SDK, I would be much happier than paying more money for RE's that don't come close.
But I think you are right that props will focus on the other aspects of reason, features like auto-rex slicing, video sync etc.. Rather than actual devices.
Kind of annoying that RPG8 won't get the update though because I don't want autoarp, I want an updated RPG8.
I think you're confusing what I'm saying about new devices with revamping old ones, they are not really related. Yes, it might be kind of annoying not to get updates to existing devices. But no-one that I'm aware of has suggested anything about not "allowing" Props to update their own devices! That would be crazy talk. However in practice there have been very, very few additions or improvements to native devices: ReMix EQ, a Combinator improvements, OctoRex, a couple of NNXT changes. I think that's about it!

Given that, after tax, Props earn up to 20% of the price you paid for a third-party RE, it would be nonsense for them to introduce, say, a 5-tap delay module as a native device in Reason X: it would kill sales of Urs' Uhbik-D and the 20% they've earned on each Uhbik-D sold would have effectively funded it. Now, if Props release a 5-tap delay as an RE in shop, then that's different, as it's a competing product in a free market.

This essentially applies to all devices in the shop.