Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-23, 00:29

Updated combinator

I don't know if it's just me, but i think it would be awesome to maybe drop down to more knobs and switches. I use up four knobs really quick and would love to control more things on multiple synths.
Old 2013-01-23, 03:31

And... Velocity as a modulation source!

Just ran into that one again..
Old 2013-02-01, 21:42

Combinator II

I was thinking the same thing today... a 'Combinator II':

- Three rack spaces (or more) instead of two, providing more interface space to accommodate the extra controls.
- 12 sets of controls & buttons instead of four.
- Ability to toggle controls to display as either a set of rotary knobs or a set of sliders.
- Parameter readout shows the *actual* parameter value of the parameter you are tweaking, not simply a standardized number value unrelated to the parameter.
- No set limit to the number control-to-parameter mappings.
- Ability to import existing standard Combinator patches into the new Combinator II.
- Go for a default tan or dark tan brushed metal look to distinguish it from the original.

I know, I ask a lot...

Last edited by doctec; 2013-02-01 at 21:44.
Old 2013-02-01, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctec View Post
- Parameter readout shows the *actual* parameter value of the parameter you are tweaking, not simply a standardized number value unrelated to the parameter.
I like this idea, but how would it work when multiple parameters are mapped to the same control? Would you simply have the tooltip list everything that is happening when adjustments are made?
Old 2013-02-07, 08:18

+1 on more controls in a combinator.

I reckon a bunch of rotating pots, switches and slides would all be good.

Would be even better if Novation updated Automap to support the new combinator, then we wouldn't need them to support new Rack Extensions - we could just throw a device in combinator, wire it up and control from Automap.
Old 2013-02-07, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondh View Post

Would be even better if Novation updated Automap to support the new combinator, then we wouldn't need them to support new Rack Extensions - we could just throw a device in combinator, wire it up and control from Automap.
Great. I love the idea!
Old 2013-02-07, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
Great. I love the idea!
:-)

That's what I do now, albeit with the limit of 4 rotary's and 4 switches. That gives me a few knobs to twiddle on RE synths....

cheers!
Raymond
Old 2013-02-10, 10:29

I think a new combinator is a must now that we have things like divisor and the a2 rack extensions. I really miss to be able to control ADSR of both the amp & filter when stacking synths in the combinator.

The restriction of having 4 knobs & 4 buttons seems bizar when most midi controllers today come with many more knobs.