Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-12, 22:44

How do you sample sounds to use in your production?

I want to record sounds around me - whether it be the train going past, the radio, background noise of people talking, or specific spoken phrases I want to use in my production.

What is the best way to do this? I have used freesound a few times which was great (i.e. for a cow mooing and the sound of water splashing). What equipment would I need to do this myself? (without spending a fortune).
Old 2013-02-13, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriv View Post
I want to record sounds around me - whether it be the train going past, the radio, background noise of people talking, or specific spoken phrases I want to use in my production.

What is the best way to do this? I have used freesound a few times which was great (i.e. for a cow mooing and the sound of water splashing). What equipment would I need to do this myself? (without spending a fortune).
Well, there's many options, depending on different factors. Not long ago, I bought myself a small Tascam digital recorder that was on sale for under 50 bucks, and it works well as an unobtrusive field recorder, with a built-in stereo microphone. It has a Mini-SD card slot so you can record quite a long amount of high-quality audio before it fills up.

Alternately, I suppose those of you with fancy phones and pads could get some kind of app for audio recording, as long as your device has either a built-in mic or at least a mic jack.

Old 2013-02-13, 10:02

I use a turntable and records usually. Sometimes i might sample off of youtube for a movie clip or something. i dont do any field recording
Old 2013-02-13, 10:31

I use to record ambinents with an old h4 microphone. Works pretty good. I can walk around in the wood if i woud like to etc. This mic give pretty nice quality and details that i need. Make sure to have plenty of baterys with you...

Another way is to record with Iphone(many have that) The sound is alright depend of what you whana have in your music. But the secret is to avoid hig pich and error noises that kan destoy the whole sound picture.

I used to record people in bars/backpakers etc when i was traveling around in Australia directly straight into the laptops microphone.That gave me a very personlay sound.

Then there is thousands of other way to record but im just sharing a little bit. Sometimes it can be nice to record straight into the microfphone in the studio. Im using a SE X1 microphone. It have a pretty long cabel so i can reach almoust everything. Just push the record button and grab all waves you can find..

Good luck
Old 2013-02-13, 11:30

Thanks for the comments..

KevWest - how do you record from youtube? Ive done this a few times but have just used Audacity to record youtube playing with my laptop mic. Whats a better way of doing this as the sound quality isnt great?
Old 2013-02-13, 15:28

In the past I've used a Mini Disc recorder with a tiny condenser mic plugged. I'd then connect to laptop via 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack and record into Audacity. Once I've got the file on my computer; the worlds my oyster!
Old 2013-02-13, 15:30

I use this:

Old 2013-02-13, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriv View Post
Thanks for the comments..

KevWest - how do you record from youtube? Ive done this a few times but have just used Audacity to record youtube playing with my laptop mic. Whats a better way of doing this as the sound quality isnt great?
there are programs that allow you to simply download the audio data into an mp3 then convert that and have at it. There's a program called sound or sun flow on mac that should allow for this to happen but i am on pc. there is a similar program on pc called jack but i can't get it to work