Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-13, 09:30

What can I expect from my PC using Reason 6.5 & Balance performance wise?

hello new here.

Just wanting some input.

Looking for something new and wanting to head in a new direction as a singer songwriter and I like what I see with reason and balance.

My PC is custom built for audio production and is several years old. So before I get lots of recommendations that I should get an i5 or i7. Please Keep in mind I don't have the money right now for a new power system as I'm saving. I want to know what I might be able to expect running this system with reason 6.5 with balance. Is it do-able or should I not waist my time? any input would be great. anyone still running one of these older systems? what kinda of performance are you getting? Hitting CPU walls?

This is an older rack Pc but it's been a work horse and stable. It's dedicated to music production only, never on the internet and windows 7 64 bit has been tweaked to not hinder audio production performance.

My Current Pc Specs are :Running Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Quad Q6600 "4 x 2.40Ghz" 64 bit
Chipset: 1066 / 1333Mhz FSB Intel P35 Express Chipset
Memory: 8GB DDR2 Dual Channel
running three seperate drives
Sytem Drive 500gb 7200rpm
Audio Drive 500gb 7200rpm
Sample Drive 500gb 7200rpm

Last edited by Jchop76; 2013-02-13 at 09:38.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:44

You can download a full demo and see for yourself. There are some limitations--you can't open songs you've created, something else I can't remember at the moment, but you should be able to build up some arrangements and see how everything works. Your memory and drives are certainly adequate, I just can't say about the CPU.

How is your system performing otherwise? I graduated from a Pentium 4 Celeron to the system you see below, which was built specifically for audio production. The P4 handled Reason 3 okay, but was choking on browsers, and Tracktion froze it completely. If you aren't noticing any bottlenecks you might be okay.

HTH,

Richard
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2013-02-13, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
You can download a full demo and see for yourself. There are some limitations--you can't open songs you've created, something else I can't remember at the moment, but you should be able to build up some arrangements and see how everything works. Your memory and drives are certainly adequate, I just can't say about the CPU.

How is your system performing otherwise? I graduated from a Pentium 4 Celeron to the system you see below, which was built specifically for audio production. The P4 handled Reason 3 okay, but was choking on browsers, and Tracktion froze it completely. If you aren't noticing any bottlenecks you might be okay.

HTH,

Richard

Okay I may do that before committing. This PC has never given me any problems and has ran like a champ. I have used Presonus with reaper for sometime, with lots of plugins like waves ssl, sony sonnox ect. run some soft synths ect. But my ps productions are not really monsters with lots of trax ect. But I do know all these synths ect in reason can be taxing on system.

I have read that there were many people having problems with stuttering, lock up, sluggish when reason 6 came out. Some on newer I5, I7 pcs ans well als core duo and quads. I'm assuming Propellerhead has gotten them worked out and it's running better now.
Old 2013-02-13, 11:23

The Reason Synths are actually pretty chill. I used to run Reason 4 on an old AMD 1.8ghz notebook with 512 ram and I never had an issue. These Reason 6 files are bigger but still not too taxing by any means. It's when you're loading tons of effects and the new Rack Extensions that you start running into trouble - at least that's where I am now.

I have a 2.5 ghz Intel Core 2 duo with 4gb ram. If your computer is faster than my MBP notebook, then you are totally fine for the time being. I have some pretty monster tracks right now and even after really cleaning up and streamlining my rack the best I can, I run into issues but can work around things for the time being.