Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-19, 09:45

Angry Do I upgrade my Mac or my PC for Reason 5?

I am still using Reason 5. However my Macbook is about 7 years old and cannot be upgraded to 10.8, so I am running 10.7.5. It has huge swapping issues even when I only have 5 tabs open in Chrome. For example, it takes 6 seconds for the hidden dock to appear, and sometimes activating Expose takes up to 15 seconds! I don't now how to solve these problems. However Reason 5 runs flawlessly, no latency, nothing, works perfectly!

So I figured I'd try my lack with a PC. I have Wndows 8 and Reason 5 runs perfectly. But I still have the exact same issues on there as I do on my Mac. If I try to open more than 6 tabs in Chrome, or any other browser, even IE10, it starts swapping like crazy! Sometimes disk actiivty as at 100% for 10 minutes before it stops. But Reason works fine as long as I close all others.

Both computers are dual-core, around 2.2gHz, and with 2GB of ram. There is at least 20 GB of free space on both systems.

I've noticed that both OSes when loaded without any apps, use up around 1.5GB! That's a lot. So I figured the solution is to upgrade either computer to 4GB or 8GB of ram. But the trouble is, I can only afford to upgrade one!

So my question is, which one? Should I use Reason 5 on PC or Mac, and is there a benefit to either choice? I should also point out that if I want to use more than 4GB of RAM on my PC, I'd have to backup, reformat, and then install WinXP or Win7 somehow, and then I can upgrade to Windows 8, since Microsoft doesn't allow a clean fresh install unless you have a previous OS installed. Really draconian of them.

So any advice?
Old 2013-02-19, 16:55

Sorry to say it but your macbook is seriously outdated and the ram can't be upgraded any more than it is. the max ram for a macbook (Im assuming its not one of the "pro" models) is 2 gig ram and possible 3 gig but you would want at-least 4 gigs as minimum nowadays. You can look at the specs and expandability with the mactracker app in the mac app store

Instaling ram in your pc seems to be your only option if it's compatible with more ram. However its not nearly as complicated as you make it out to be. you won't need a fresh install of the OS to install ram. The OS is on your harddrive. this article gives you a walkthrough of how to install ram on your computer.

Website
Old 2013-02-19, 19:53

Unhappy Oh but it will be super complicated!

Well the PC is running Windows 8 Pro. I bought the upgrade downloadable version from microsoft.com without buying the installation media! The only way to re-download it again is to have another Windows OS already installed. I did some digging and there is an ESD directory that contains the downloaded components, but even with that the installer requires to "upgrade" a previous version of the OS.

If I want to use more than 4GB of ram, I have to install the 64-bit version of Windows 8. The installer will only do that if the previous Windows is already 64-bit!!! I didn't know any of that and so when I was upgrading, because I had Windows 7 32-bit, it got the 8 32-bit version instead, which is limited to 4GB

Thanks for letting me know about mactrackker, I am also quite shocked to find out there's a 2GB limit ... I'll probably upgrade the PC and maybe bump to Reason 6.5!

Thank you.. :-/
Old 2013-02-19, 19:59

the first intel core 2 duos are only suitable for reason 4 imo.

Reason performance dropped significantly with the introduction of blocks ( Reason 5 ).

I've been saying this for years, and no one seems to be making the connection.
Old 2013-02-19, 20:32

Really? was there core 2 duo update between 2007 and 2010? My mbp has a core 2 duo processor and 6.5 runs very smoothly. Ran reason 4 and 5 as well as record on my pc laptop before i got the mac in 2010 (same processor) and never noticed a difference.

Website
Old 2013-02-19, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
If I want to use more than 4GB of ram, I have to install the 64-bit version of Windows 8. The installer will only do that if the previous Windows is already 64-bit!!! I didn't know any of that and so when I was upgrading, because I had Windows 7 32-bit, it got the 8 32-bit version instead, which is limited to 4GB
Yeah there is that issue of the 32/64 bit incompatibility. (insert windows hate here). You might have to contact the manufacturer of you pc and see if you can get a recovery disc. But the fact you would have to go through all of that does indeed suck.

Website
Old 2013-02-19, 21:04

upgrade the system that's easier and CHEAPER for you. Reason 5 upwards works better with a quad core 64 bit. yes yees it will run far more smoothly thanb any other program out there but most softwares are going the 64-bit route now.

So, either get a new mac (your bank account will get raped) or spend some quality time looking for a pc that is uber POWER at prolly 1/4 of the price of a mac....

in the end, its your preference that matters.

i could send you some links for powerful pc's...at peanut prices?

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2013-02-19, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
Really? was there core 2 duo update between 2007 and 2010?
Yes. The first core 2 duos begin at 2006, not 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

Last edited by danny_f; 2013-02-19 at 22:21.
Old 2013-02-19, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
My mbp has a core 2 duo processor and 6.5 runs very smoothly. Ran reason 4 and 5 as well as record on my pc laptop before i got the mac in 2010 (same processor) and never noticed a difference.
I bet you its a 2.2+ though. The only core 2 duos that are close to capable are 2.2+, but really for 6.5 and higher there is no other choice than i7 ( 3rd generation ) now. Even my i7 quad from 2010 is struggling with some of my newer projects. So I have to say that your claim of "running smoothly" is an exaggeration OR you just don't push Reason to its limits ( maybe you don't need to with your approach ).

Last edited by danny_f; 2013-02-19 at 22:27.
Old 2013-02-20, 01:50

oh ok so there was an update then. wasn't sure. But alot of my music deals with mostly sampled instruments so it can get pushed fairly hard depending on the size of the libraries I'm using, on larger projects Ive gotten up to about 75 dsp usage but I've yet to max it out. I will admit I have very few REs though. only one I occasionally use is the morfin xf crossfader

Website