Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-19, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
If you're not sure, then it's not for you. FM is a pain and PX7 is not a particularly user friendly implementation. Unless, of course, you're content with using existing presets; in that case, go for it.
I have to disagree on all levels there. FM seems confusing at first but isn't that hard to figure out, in fact with the manual it's pretty easy on a basic level. PX7 is user friendly I don't know why you would say it is not.
Oh and the presets are great, some really good ones in the banks but they're all old sort of sounds, but the PX7 is really good for the modern sounds you hear with the squelchy bass and growls, so don't feel like the presets show you everything because they don't.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I have to disagree on all levels there. FM seems confusing at first but isn't that hard to figure out, in fact with the manual it's pretty easy on a basic level. PX7 is user friendly I don't know why you would say it is not.
It's certainly harder to figure out than substractive synthesis where you juste have to select a basic waveform on the oscillator end...

There's always the option of just turning random knobs and seeing what happens but if you don't know what you're doing it's more or less like browsing an infinite library of terrible-sounding, often unusable patches.

Thor's FM pair synthesis *may* not be too difficult to figure out (and even then, figuring out a nice, harmonic-sounding pair/ratio requires some technical knowledge) but PX7 certainly is daunting for beginners.

Last edited by BoddAH; 2013-02-19 at 10:59.
Old 2013-02-19, 12:05

Its magic for nasty dubstep bass overtones with some distortion added to the outputs
Old 2013-02-19, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeriJC View Post
Out of interest, have you used the old NI FM7? That was a great DX-7 Emulation. It looks like this has been superseded by FM8 now (which from the screengrabs looks like something else entirely) so am unsure if you can still get it. It might be worth tracking down a 2nd hand copy (of FM7) if you're after a VST equivalent of PX-7.
Thanks for the advice. I find programming the FM8 really awkward. The FM7 looks interesting, but I am not going to try to find and install obsolete NI software. When NI made other software obsolete like the B3 and Prophet emulators, it was too difficult to try to keep using them. And I just like how the PX7 works!