Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-20, 11:48

Wink Recording vocals on Reason Essentials with Balance Audio Interface

Hi everyone,

Iv been using reason 3.0 for nearly a decade now and iv just bought the new Balance Audio Interface which came with Reason Essentials but i have absolutely no clue on how to record vocals. I am completely new to the new Reason and recording vocals. I have a microphone connected to my AppleMac but i have no clue how to set it up on reason essentials.

Can anyone please give me a real 'Dummys Guide' on how to set up my microphone and start recording vocals over a track that i have already produced on reason 3.0 please???

Much appreciated and Many Thanks
Old 2013-02-20, 18:05

With everything off, plug in the mic to the Balance.
If you noticed the sticker on the Balance USB port then you already installed the drivers. Very important step. You may have to reboot – can’t remember.
Next create a mixer channel. I do this in the sequencer window. From that track there is a drop down where you select the input. You will see ASIO Balance or some similar thing.
You should immediately see an audio signal as a green meter light. If not, reboot.
Arm the channel and press the red button and you are recording.
Old 2013-02-21, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manslick
Next create a mixer channel.
Acctually you create an audio track not a mixer channel.
Old 2013-02-21, 03:26

You are not going to be able to record vocals over a track you made in reason 3 because Reason Essentials can only open files created with Essentials - to open your old Reason 3 files, you need to upgrade to Reason 6.5.

that said, if your reason 3 is a paid/legit license, register it...with your balance+essentials and the R3 license, you are entitled to free upgrade to R6.5.

To record through balance (i.e. vocals) you need to plug the mic into balance, then select the appropriate input on balance.

in reason - edit >> preferences | audio ; select balance as the interface

create an audio track, and it should be ready to go.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-02-21 at 03:37.
Old 2013-02-21, 10:31

SteveDiverse, Thanks alot for the feed back, i have done everything you said and im getting a signal in when i talk through the mic. I have went to the reason preferences and selected the balance interface. However, when i click on 'Create Audio Track' , and then select balance on the audio track and the click record it keeps coming up saying that 'there is no audio input selected for recording', even though the balance is showing as selected on the audio track, do you know why this might be??

Many thanks
Old 2013-02-21, 10:59

Thank you Manslick, Im getting an audio signal on the green meter light and the balance is selected on the 'create audio track' as the audio input but when i click on the red record button it comes up saying 'There is no audio input device selected for recording'

Im a bit lost???
Old 2013-02-21, 18:09

I am stumped.

When I create the audio track from the sequencer window a mix channel is created automatically. I think of the two as one thing. So if I say make a mix channel an audio track will be created as well.

I don't understand why Reason is saying there is no audio input device selected for recording. This would imply the device is not connected perhaps. Surly you plugged in the USB cable. No?

I don’t know about Apple computers but I remember reading on here there is something you have to do to get it to work. Sorry to muddy the water but maybe write support for help?
Old 2013-02-21, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
When I create the audio track from the sequencer window a mix channel is created automatically. I think of the two as one thing. So if I say make a mix channel an audio track will be created as well.
When you create an audio track, the track is the mix channel.

When you create a mix channel, no audio track is created, nor can the mix channel be used as an audio track.
Old 2013-02-21, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez1 View Post
SteveDiverse, Thanks alot for the feed back, i have done everything you said and im getting a signal in when i talk through the mic. I have went to the reason preferences and selected the balance interface. However, when i click on 'Create Audio Track' , and then select balance on the audio track and the click record it keeps coming up saying that 'there is no audio input selected for recording', even though the balance is showing as selected on the audio track, do you know why this might be??

Many thanks
I suggest uninstalling Essentials & the Balance driver.

Then download the latest versions of each from the Propellerhead site.

Then re-install the Balance driver first, then Essentials.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to contact support via their web form.
Old 2013-02-21, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner498 View Post
When you create an audio track, the track is the mix channel.

When you create a mix channel, no audio track is created, nor can the mix channel be used as an audio track.
I stand corrected. Thank you.