Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-20, 22:18

Crazy time signature and a synth made using my own voice - what's not to like?! :D

So… I set myself the challenge of composing something with an unusual time signature (rather than the standard 4:4 I normally work with) and this is what I came up with:

https://soundcloud.com/skollob/aurora

Bonus points if you can work out what the time signature is!

The vocal sounds were created DIY-style by recording my wife and I singing individual notes, which I used to create a two octave synth patch (my wife singing the upper octave and me the lower). It was a more hilarious process than I'd expected but I'm pleasantly surprised by how it turned out

It's 100% produced in Reason with no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives. Live bass by yours truly.

Anyway, hope y'all dig it. Feedback kindly appreciated, as always.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
So… I set myself the challenge of composing something with an unusual time signature (rather than the standard 4:4 I normally work with) and this is what I came up with:

The vocal sounds were created DIY-style by recording my wife and I singing individual notes, which I used to create a two octave synth patch (my wife singing the upper octave and me the lower). It was a more hilarious process than I'd expected but I'm pleasantly surprised by how it turned out

It's 100% produced in Reason with no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives. Live bass by yours truly.

This is just lurvely Mr SKOL. It's always good fun creating synths with your voice. I've just uploaded one where I created a rolling sub bass by vocoding myself Mongolian throat singing :P

Those drums were really well crafted. Combination of those and your bass playing reminded me of some of Squarepusher's stuff.

Oh, was it 7/4 per chance?

SC: https://soundcloud.com/dubious

If you want to collab, reach me at:
alacey1989@hotmail.com
https://twitter.com/LogicalPocket

Logical Pocket - Music fueled by biscuits.
Old 2013-02-20, 23:16

'Tis v. good, more on SC. Bassline and playing are the mutt's nuts.
Synth Rock
Old 2013-02-21, 00:24

Quote:

That's a nice easy one. 7/4 (or unless maybe you're being really tricksy and used 14/8! ).

Really liking the track!
Old 2013-02-21, 11:00

Thanks for the feedback guys! Massively appreciated. The time signature is... 15/8, split into a 6/4 and a 9/4 pattern. A tricksy one for sure, but some of you got close

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh View Post
This is just lurvely Mr SKOL. It's always good fun creating synths with your voice. I've just uploaded one where I created a rolling sub bass by vocoding myself Mongolian throat singing :P Those drums were really well crafted. Combination of those and your bass playing reminded me of some of Squarepusher's stuff. Oh, was it 7/4 per chance?
Cheers hamst3rf1sh! That's an odd coincidence, as I did originally intend to use some Mongolian throat singing samples on this track, but ended up doing the weird vocal synth thing. The drums are nice and simple but I was pleased with how they turned out - I used Softube Dyna-mite to add some hefty limiting which gave them plenty of punch. And thanks for the Squarepusher reference - that's very flattering as I'm a huge fan of Tom Jenkinson.

PS: I really like the 'Doodle' track in your sig! Very catchy and had me smiling. I also notice that you're a fellow Mancunian. Even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincture View Post
'Tis v. good, more on SC. Bassline and playing are the mutt's nuts.
^ Thanks Zac, really appreciate the comments. Yeah I was tempted to let rip with the drums towards the end but ended up restraining myself. I might have a play with them next time I open the file... Thanks again mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdm View Post
It sounds really cool
^ Glad you dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
That's a nice easy one. 7/4 (or unless maybe you're being really tricksy and used 14/8! ).Really liking the track!
^ Thanks Jiggery. You nearly had it... 15/8! Made my head hurt working with this time sig at first, but lots of fun once I got in the groove of it. Glad you like the track and cheers the feedback.

Cheers y'all!

Paul
Old 2013-02-22, 21:45

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys! Massively appreciated. The time signature is... 15/8, split into a 6/4 and a 9/4 pattern. A tricksy one for sure, but some of you got close

^ Thanks Jiggery. You nearly had it... 15/8! Made my head hurt working with this time sig at first, but lots of fun once I got in the groove of it. Glad you like the track and cheers the feedback.

Cheers y'all!

Paul
Heh, I had to come back and check the thread for the answer. I was convinced it was 7/4, but it's really hard to work out those high /8ths, so I didn't get close, but thanks for pretending I did!! 15/8 is pretty different to 7/4, which I've used quite a bit. I have used 15/8 just once myself - some guy challenged me: I think it ended up 15/8 with a 9/8 break or something. One of my Doors-y blues tracks on my SC is in 13/8, with a 10/8 bridge, and then 13/8 with a 16/8 turnaround in the second half. That's the problem with /8s, you end up accumulating time signatures throughout the track!!
Old 2013-02-23, 00:08

Quote:

Cheers hamst3rf1sh! That's an odd coincidence, as I did originally intend to use some Mongolian throat singing samples on this track, but ended up doing the weird vocal synth thing. The drums are nice and simple but I was pleased with how they turned out - I used Softube Dyna-mite to add some hefty limiting which gave them plenty of punch. And thanks for the Squarepusher reference - that's very flattering as I'm a huge fan of Tom Jenkinson.

PS: I really like the 'Doodle' track in your sig! Very catchy and had me smiling. I also notice that you're a fellow Mancunian. Even better

^ Thanks Zac, really appreciate the comments. Yeah I was tempted to let rip with the drums towards the end but ended up restraining myself. I might have a play with them next time I open the file... Thanks again mate

^ Glad you dig it.

Cheers y'all!

Paul
Cheers dude. Incidentally if you ever fancy collaborating at some point in the future I'd be up for it, your stuff is always really compelling.

SC: https://soundcloud.com/dubious

If you want to collab, reach me at:
alacey1989@hotmail.com
https://twitter.com/LogicalPocket

Logical Pocket - Music fueled by biscuits.
Old 2013-02-23, 02:44

Cool. Sounds kinda Paul Hardcastle-ish to me. Not a bad thing, btw.