Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-02-21, 04:54

Anyone else want a Buchla style synth in Reason?

Am I alone or would anyone else like to see some modular patching with cable on the front of the rack? I think Props could do a great Buchla 200e clone in Reason....how? I have no idea. It would obviously require some changes to Reason (cables in front) I love Ochen K's attempt but I for one would love to see something fully modular with front patching cables and all the bells and whistles of the Buchla hardware modulars. A Buchla style modular synth in Reason would be a welcome to the soft synth world as well because to my knowledge there's only one soft synth hailed as being 'Buchla' like and that's the Madrona Labs Aalto (seen below)

“Come now, and let us REASON together” Isaiah 1:18

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-21, 05:13

Front cabling for this this sort of device would be very cool actually. But if it were at all possible then current modular style devices for Reason would all have to be redesigned to allow space for the front panel GUI + all the cabling points. Most devices would probably end up being at least 1U larger and pretty much empty on the back. Might get messy! Anyway all those cables are only a tab key away Bit different with hardware.
Old 2013-02-21, 05:19

I see what you mean. But maybe there could be a patch "interface" on this "buchla" synth that would allow cables to be patched in on the back and then brought to the front...to allow CV and audio patching on the front of this synth only. Audio and CV patching would still be available on the back of this synth as well.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-21, 10:09

Yes, but people need to be open for other forms of patching when it comes to software. Software isn't hardware and the whole "real cables" look might not be what's best for this environment. Sure, there can still be some patch points on the back for bringing in and out signals to and from other devices in Reason but internally such a synth should use a solution similar to AALTO or another that you posted about to truly allow for full audio rate modulation internally, etc.
Old 2013-02-21, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Yes, but people need to be open for other forms of patching when it comes to software. Software isn't hardware and the whole "real cables" look might not be what's best for this environment. Sure, there can still be some patch points on the back for bringing in and out signals to and from other devices in Reason but internally such a synth should use a solution similar to AALTO or another that you posted about to truly allow for full audio rate modulation internally, etc.

I think you're right eXode, a virtual cable system in front may not be necessary as long as all of the options are there for modulation routing.

Loading SoundCloud…