Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-22, 01:57

Question Computers and oses of the future?

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/201...hats-next.html

Does this laptop by google which has a chrome os have a future in music software like reason?

What else is the future? Linux?
Old 2013-02-22, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomarkh View Post
http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/201...hats-next.html

Does this laptop by google which has a chrome os have a future in music software like reason?

What else is the future? Linux?
The main thing is the OS needs to be geared for low latency. Ironically if the DAW is geared for gaming it would probably also be good for music since gaming also requires low latency.

If they do something also like implement built in OSC, they could take things to the next level. Somebody would need to develop a good DAW for it though.

PCs will get smaller, thinner and flatter, and once Solid State Drives improves and get cheaper we will have a lot of power on our hands.

Also Wifi controllers would be cool too. I see that as a big thing.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:33

There is online DAWs already and I guess some productions will go that way, as the already do since the 90's, some of the Bon Jovi records overdubs were actually done via AudioFAX (ISDN). I bet we already hear a lot of recordings from all over the world in one radio track, why waste the time and do it all in different software? But in the end it always comes down to some great song or recording so no matter how you get there, that bit still has to be there
Old 2013-02-22, 02:46

As far as the hardware goes, things are going to get smaller and lighter with lower processing power and lower power requirements.
For your average users needs, the performance increases over the last decade have been unnecessary. I was using Linux exclusively for general computer use (web browsing, email, media consumption) on a variety of less-than-state-of-the-art computers without complaint before I finally bought my current generation computer. This is where tablets and internet appliances like Chromebooks are wonderful. I see more devices like this becoming the standard devices for average users in the future.
For people like us, however, I doubt there will be much change. The hardware will still be large (relatively), expensive (relatively), and powerful. There might be a shift toward more specialized platforms when desktops become the exception rather than the rule. I'm personally waiting for a Linux, BSD, etc based OS that's designed around media production. It might take 10 years for Reason, Protools, and other pro software move to it, but it's still appealing to me.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:51

Technology always diverts, there was never the "one box" they told us about in the 80's already. There will be iPhones, powerful desktops, separate devices, everything you can imagine (and buy)
Old 2013-02-22, 03:06

http://www.ohmstudio.com/ is this an online daw your talking about?
Old 2013-02-22, 05:44

Not interested in an online DAW. Think you've got latency problems now?

I want my processing right here, right now, and as fast as possible.

Google/chrome is not for audio work, nor will it ever be. The insurmountable issue of surpassing the speed of light, especially over a medium that can never allow electrons to really reach their full speed potential is just that, an insurmountable issue for the foreseeable future. That, and bandwidth.

You're dreaming of an infeasible solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited by fizbin; 2013-02-22 at 05:47.
Old 2013-02-22, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomarkh View Post
I'm going to say *NO*, *THIS* computer will not... but something similar, i would say, yes.

Look at the posts on these forums related to latency, 'computer too slow', etc... and realize that those comments related to where all of everything happens on the local computer.

If you want to move everything to the internet, then all of those things have to happen over people's internet connections.

Some day, it's probable that the worst internet bandwidth will be better than anything any of us have in our local setup today...at which point, it could be possible for someone with a controller in New York, and someone with a mic in Tokyo, to record to a computer in London with less latency than any of us get today with the audio interface connected to our own computer.

...when everything on the 'internet' works at light speed (i.e., Jan 1, 2100)

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-02-22 at 06:38.