Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-02-22, 13:38

Thumbs down Progress stopped?

I'm gonna say this even though I know I'll be hated for it. but seriously I'm getting tired of reason..

All the rack extensions are designed to pay tribute (especially the ones by PH) . Now with rotor, it shows that PH ain't doing a good enough effort to bring us advanced tools like I have always wished for ..

Granular synthesis, a simple spectrum analyser, simple and effective grain delay.. so many more but I can't think of them right now.

My point is that PH should stop paying tribute to all the classic things like rotor and px7; and other really simple and in-effective tools by 3rd parties. AND start giving us some versatile and powerful tools..

Why are you keeping Reason so low tech when it has the potential to the best the most advanced in the market?

NI are miles ahead of PH in their synthesis with synths like : absynth; fm8 and massive ...

synthesis seems to be given no importance at all ; and sound design is out of the question.

I love reason with all my heart but I think it's time to move on.
Old 2013-02-22, 14:07

alright, goodbye then...
Old 2013-02-22, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgabi View Post
synthesis seems to be given no importance at all ; and sound design is out of the question.
I was trying to read along objectively but, thats where you lost me. I have to disagree, I think reason is one of the best things going for someone who enjoys sound design.

I'm glad Props stick to old school, basic stuff because, that's all fm8, absynth etc are...basic synthesis with new flashy interface. Nothing truly special or mind-blowing or groundbreaking about any of it, when you hear the sounds people come up with. The end result tells the tale for me.

After all, you can make pretty futuristic sounds with the most classic and humblest of gear.
Old 2013-02-22, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
basic synthesis with new flashy interface. Nothing truly special or mind-blowing or groundbreaking about any of it, when you hear the sounds people come up with. The end result tells the tale for me.

After all, you can make pretty futuristic sounds with the most classic and humblest of gear.
I might be the worst sound design enthusiast but when it comes to large pads and textures I find reason not fit for the task.

NI have always fascinated me especially with Absynth which is so versatile in every sense..

The semi-modular layout of reason is the best you can get .. BUT the modules are becoming obsolete..

FM synthesis does not have a real potential right now and most synths are really limited in their custimisation ; just simple oscillators as usual with no wave-shaping options, FM functions, and so many others.

Granular synthesis does not even exist; graintable is just not the same..

"humblest of gear" .. humble does not mean primitive.. PH are falling back and while other DAWs are keeping up with 2013 standards, PH are just praising classic tools which should not be development's 1st priority..
Old 2013-02-22, 14:57

I agree with you in some senses regarding rotor. That is probably just about the last thing I wanted props to grace us with. But it's what I would call a 'sweetener'. I doubt that's what all their resources have been working towards for the last 7 months but it adds another element to the pot.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but I think you've just completely forgotten all of the other REs that we've been given since 6.5.

Think back to version 4 and I think you can see how far reason has come in a very very short space of time.

My guess is that they are quietly working on something in 7 (to be released this summer me thinks) that will (hopefully, knock on wood, please god) blow us all away.

I own NI Komplete and granted it's a great bundle. But if you spent hours / days making combinator patches incorporating Antidote and thor and bunch of RE effects, you think it would be so hard to mimic/surpass those sounds? I definitely don't.

But unfortunately it takes a bit more time to get those sounds. You sacrifice speed for control in reason when it comes to design and you have to indeed think outsidethebox.

There's a reason you keep coming back to this DAW. No one is forcing you to stay. You want it to be better because you like it and it fits you. Do you think the ableton / logic / PT / Reaper forums are full of people saying how great the DAW is and how they wouldn't change anything about it?

"Music is my religion." Jimi Hendrix

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-02-22, 16:32

"You sacrifice speed for control in reason when it comes to design and you have to indeed think outsidethebox."

You're absolutely right and thanks for re-pointing that out. Unfortunately reason gets boring when you get stuck how to get that perfect ambience or pad..

Maybe this is some kind of writers block but I really do feel that Reason is years behind of the others. I pointed this out earlier last year and I will keep on pointing it out until PH start giving out mathematical tools for us to work with.

The DAW is currently a makeshift one.. the competetion is ahead BUT WITH ONE MAJOR DISABILITY : the semi modular interface..

All I want to see in reason is an expandable thor which is meaner and more flexible than absynth or FM8 or Zebra 2 from U-He ..

Then I ask myself the question : Is reason made for advanced music and sound design ; or is it just a fun tool to bring back the memories from the 80s , 90s and 00s music making?
Old 2013-02-22, 17:11

There's a lot of users who have been crying out for a native Rotor™ effect for many, many years.

That it doesn't appeal to everyone does not mean PH should not create things like that or users should suddenly feel aggrieved and threaten to quit. The only valid argument to the contrary would be that those kinds of effects could possibly be left solely to third party devs and PH should focus on R7/SDK 2.0 and in general real modern shiny stuff. If you'd made that argument it would be hard to counter, even if people disagreed. But no, it's just the usual "there's no Absynthe so I'm quitting" tears.

While Rotor™ or PX7 or even RadKeys might not be "modern", these are bread and butter features that Reason has "sort-of" lacked and should have had a long time ago: i.e., there have been Combinator-based attempts for most of the RE devices we are seeing, some more successful as others. Reason is at least now catching up providing simple, reliable effects that other DAWs have taken for granted for over a decade.

In banging on about Native Instruments synths you're peddling the usual media assumption that Reason is just for dance and electronic music. It isn't. It sooooo isn't. There's more to life than ceasing music production for two hours just to attempt to create even a fairly basic pad in over-complicated plugins like Absynthe.

Sometimes we just want a damn rotary speaker with some easy-to-use and automate knobs, and not have to mess around with adjusting values in multiple Combinator devices!

So get the Rotor™ trial, and try it on your Reason synth pads. You might be surprised.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2013-02-22 at 17:14.
Old 2013-02-22, 17:24

You are right mate, I just downloaded the ableton demo again and it is really nothing near reason..

I was mistaken to put reason aside, I just seemed to have forgotten about the real limitations of not having a semi modular DAW.

However I still am frustrated that Reason has practically not evolved so much in terms of electronic music.

When PH annoucned Record I knew immediately that they could not focus so much on what I really am.. maybe i'm just a greedy egoist but I think it's time that PH dedicate something really cool, maybe Reason 7.

So far we have heard nothing, but who knows maybe they have something big and they're just teasing nervous guys like me..

Well so long.. thanks for the discussion
Old 2013-02-23, 04:05

I have readed the all thang and i think you got the point at the end but I can say that Reason should have more super combi synth done by super synth patch legend designers so people like you can enjoy real synth sounds in seconds ,

There is a few combi synth that are amazing in the original SB so if you open them up you will see that those combinator synths got a few thors or malstrom inside and most of the time these got other patch's designed ready to use for that combi no need to search then in the sb because they chosed some that will match directly when you open a combi synth you like open it up and change the patch with the one proposed for that combi you will love it !

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2013-02-23, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgabi View Post

I love reason with all my heart but I think it's time to move on.
It's funny because at that sound designer video roundtable with Eric Persing and Richard Devine among others, Richard Devine actually "name dropped" Reason as one of the greatest tools to get started with sound design.

Sure, I can agree that there's some stuff lacking, I for one would love to see the "offspring" of Absynth, Harmor, and Iris implemented in a kick-ass new instrument (that should be part of Reason and not a RE).

But the truth is that it's not like that I can't cope without them, I just have to find other means to create interesting sounds and there's A LOT of ways I can do that since Reason 6. It's just a question of taking the time and learning the tools at hand.