Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-04-08, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
Yes, but today's versions of Linux are really competitive, and its users number is growing fast: nowadays childrens learn how to use it at the primary schools... In a few years, even hardware manufacturers will seriously have to think about that.
Yes I have been hearing this for 15 years now. I don't know ANY grade school or high school for that matter teaching Linux as the main os. Apple DOMINATES the academic market. And any school that teaches linux as the MAIN computer course is doing those kids a massive disservice.
Old 2012-04-08, 10:34

In the past we have a computer and bought music software, at now we have one or two mobile devices running Android or iOS AND a computer, so we buy music software for both,the computer and mobiles.
In the future OSses which are not running on a mobile device are dead. The more powefull the mobiles are, I think only Android and iOS (maybe WinMobile) are around 90% of all computer devices. I speaking about 10 to 15 years.

The question is not going to Ubuntu, the only way to stay in business is porting a DAW to a mobile device running not Ubuntu, OSX or Windows.
Old 2013-02-24, 15:56

tha't would be so great, Reason is the only reason to stay on Windows for me now)
Old 2013-02-24, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampolice View Post
Also do some research on how terrible ALSA and pro audio in general is supported on Linux it is a giant mess.
Therefore every professional audio software on linux uses Jack instead of ALSA. Also if propellerhead would use Qt as a framework they could easily just support all major platforms. Even the ignition key could be used, as wibu systems support it on linux.

Besides with steam (and their upcoming steambox) using linux this platform will also become more interesting for other parties.
Old 2013-02-24, 20:07

Jack is like Rewire

Alsa is the audio driver subset in the OS and yes EVERY audio program must use ALSA or you don't hear sound.

Let me break it down

Jack = Rewire

Alsa = ASIO/Core audio
Old 2013-02-26, 15:07

I Know right!!! I would buy it. I don't know if reason support this, but also using the same license for win/mac/linux.
Old 2013-02-27, 20:06

OSX is built on FreeBSD code so it shouldn't be that hard but I doubt it would happen due to hardly any driver support for major hardware.
Old 2013-04-16, 06:35

deciding factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryMP View Post
I Know right!!! I would buy it. I don't know if reason support this, but also using the same license for win/mac/linux.
I don't upgrade my products too frequently as I'm an advocate of the old phrase 'if it ain't broke...'
but when I eventually upgrade everything (computer and all software)
I can assure Propellerhead that I'm going to 64bit linux, and Reason's future compatibility with it will determine whether I buy anything Propellerhead beyond Reason 7.