Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-03-05, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmitts View Post
What happens when the next version of reason comes out? Will that have updated SDK? Will that mean that some RE's will require the latest version of reason, and others, the previous?
I doubt it. the sdk is probably more-so involved with the RE format rather than the core of the program. If any update is necessary at all to use an updated sdk I'm sure that update would be a free one like 6.5.4 or something. It would be counter productive for the new version of Reason to be an sdk update within itself. Though even with that being said, I still wouldn't recommend running 6.5 when Reason 10 comes out. :P

Website
Old 2013-03-05, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmitts View Post
What happens when the next version of reason comes out? Will that have updated SDK? Will that mean that some RE's will require the latest version of reason, and others, the previous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
I doubt it. the sdk is probably more-so involved with the RE format rather than the core of the program. If any update is necessary at all to use an updated sdk I'm sure that update would be a free one like 6.5.4 or something. It would be counter productive for the new version of Reason to be an sdk update within itself. Though even with that being said, I still wouldn't recommend running 6.5 when Reason 10 comes out. :P
Will be interesting to see how (gracefully) the Props manage to handle this. There will always be some people in corner cases with PPCs from 1990 wondering why Reason 8 or an amp simulation doesn't run on it I guess. It generally is an issue with systems and compatibility but luckily the developers took some of that responsibility back from the users since Apple became so successful with that model.

Many blame Apple for "oh this and that doesn't run on my iPhone3G anymore" but in fact they have the best track record in that regard. Sometimes its even very good reasons like with Siri and the hardware denoising DSP in their iPhone 4S SOC. And in the end if the OS runs slow as hell on the old processor people would complain that their iPhones suck and are slow.. Apple chooses the version without the "iPhones suck" bit

So idk, in the world where unicorns and rainbows dominate I guess we have them port back the RE code for updates for the previous versions. And sometimes I really think I saw some unicorns crossing behind my monitor when using Reason But all their unicorn power won't save them from situations where its simply not possible to add a feature to an old version.

I mean you couldn't add the SSL mixer EQ type switch in Reason 3.0 simply because the mixer wasn't there yet On the other hand its probably not an immense amount of work to just add things like unfolding and paste to track etc. in a backwards-update-compatible manner because the infrastructure is there and the actual code is compiled in the plugin. In that case it can basically be as easy as "throwing in a newly compiled DLL".

Generally I'd go with the "what you can get now for your newly bought system is what you should consider the possibilities of your system" paradigm. Soft and hardware evolves closely tied, if new updates work on your existing system, great. But don't be surprised if they don't.

So.. what I could also imagine from the Props is a radical price restructuring due to the advent of REs, them making more of these themselves and the fact that they seem to be quite ambitious with their plans for Reason
Old 2013-03-05, 11:06

Thank you all

Interesting answers
I didn't even realize that it's so deep ..