Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-05, 15:29

Albino... Antidote or Predator?

Right now I am using Cantabile with Albino, Korg legacy, Sylenth1 and Zebra but I want to move to
Reason 6.5, specially for stability.

My favorite soft-synth is Albino (more that Sylenth1), for his silky and nice pads. I am wondering which one could be a good replacement for Albino? Antidote or Predator?

Thanks for your comments!
Old 2013-03-05, 15:31
Banned

I'd go for Antidote if you wanna great pads!
Old 2013-03-05, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf67 View Post
Right now I am using Cantabile with Albino, Korg legacy, Sylenth1 and Zebra but I want to move to
Reason 6.5, specially for stability.

My favorite soft-synth is Albino (more that Sylenth1), for his silky and nice pads. I am wondering which one could be a good replacement for Albino? Antidote or Predator?

Thanks for your comments!
Antidote is the best Sylenth1 option in Reason. Actually, Antidote blows Sylenth1 out of the water - and not just in its native Reason-integration. Its oscillators have to be heard to be believed (800 stereo anyone)?
Old 2013-03-05, 20:04

You would love both synths for sure, but Predator is much closer to the Albino sound than Antidote.

Not too suprising when Rob Papen was behind the patch programming for both Albino and Predator.

I would also recommend Bitley Platinum Refill. The JX pads in that Refill are awesome. Not Albino-silky, but very very warm, lush and extremely usable.

Cheers
Raymond
Old 2013-03-05, 21:02

Quote:
My favorite soft-synth is Albino (more that Sylenth1), for his silky and nice pads. I am wondering which one could be a good replacement for Albino?
While I agree with raymondh on some points, the fact that you're looking for silky and nice pads still suggest that Antidote might be a better fit. The oscillators in Antidote seem to perform much "silkier" for pads and in the higher frequency, IMHO, compared to Predator. Still - Predator has over 4000 presets that may compliment a lot of your Albino stuff.
Old 2013-03-05, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
While I agree with raymondh on some points, the fact that you're looking for silky and nice pads still suggest that Antidote might be a better fit. The oscillators in Antidote seem to perform much "silkier" for pads and in the higher frequency, IMHO, compared to Predator. Still - Predator has over 4000 presets that may compliment a lot of your Albino stuff.
Albino has a trademark sound. The "silk" and "cream" filter styles are quite unique. When I went hunting for an equivalent to my favourite Albino patch "Pad Silk", I haven't yet found an Antidote patch that sounds as similar as some of the Predator patches.

I do agree that Antidote also makes really nice warm, fat pads with great performance in upper registers. It just won't sound like Albino.
Old 2013-03-06, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
I would also recommend Bitley Platinum Refill. The JX pads in that Refill are awesome. Not Albino-silky, but very very warm, lush and extremely usable
+1

I loaded it up after reading this and I'm deep into a new project now.

Extremely usable sounds.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:57

Every since i got antidote i have not really used anything else as I think the quality and sound is superior to anything else i have used in Reason.. I have not used Predator though. I however have the bitley platinum refill and haven't even got close to touching it since i got the antidote and the sound cells refill for it.. It is a incredible synth and the pads are exceptionally lush... Highly recommended on my end
Old 2013-03-06, 21:24

Thanks for all your comments! I will buy Reason 6.5 and Antidote! Any thoughts about cpu use with default patches? I am not planning to run 800 oscillators, but I have read that is recommended to have a core 7 or core 5. I have a Core 3 system...
Old 2013-03-06, 21:38

Quote:
Thanks for all your comments! I will buy Reason 6.5 and Antidote! Any thoughts about cpu use with default patches? I am not planning to run 800 oscillators, but I have read that is recommended to have a core 7 or core 5. I have a Core 3 system...
Antidote can be a bit CPU intensive (as can Predator), but I wouldn't worry about replacing your i3 just yet. See how it runs on your current system first. That said, if you ever do replace your i3, definitely go with an i7 with as many cores and as high a clock speed as your budget allows. The more the merrier!

Last edited by EnochLight; 2013-03-06 at 21:41. Reason: core fwap