Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-03, 19:35

im having the same problem. it is so mothereffing frustrating. everything sounds flawless in the program, but when i export it sounds like fucking garbage. i did not have this problem on my PC but now on my macbook all my exports sound distorted and muddy. its FuCKING TERRIBLE
REASON 6
Old 2013-03-03, 19:36

i just love paying 600 for software that doesnt work. this is bullshit
Old 2013-03-03, 19:49

With a little more info we can probably get to the bottom of your problem, one I can assure you most folks have never experienced. :-)

And if you paid $600, you paid way too much for software that lists at $449. ;-)
USA
Old 2013-03-03, 19:52

Are you exporting at the same rates as what you are recording/sequencing at? i.e. if in your preferences reason is set to 48khz then that is what you should export at, this is probably the root of your problem and is the same for other daws as well.
Old 2013-03-03, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedMC View Post
im having the same problem. it is so mothereffing frustrating. everything sounds flawless in the program, but when i export it sounds like fucking garbage. i did not have this problem on my PC but now on my macbook all my exports sound distorted and muddy. its FuCKING TERRIBLE
REASON 6
Check the settings on your Quicktime or iTunes player.

I think it has a built in EQ that's set for something other than neutral sound.
Old 2013-03-04, 15:53

New User experiencing this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
This comes up again and again over time, and in each case it's been some sort of use error or 'flaw' in the comparison between the before and after files. There has not yet be one case of a confirmed 'difference' of any sort between the bounced file and the original file. Even a slight difference of a decibel or two will make you think that one track sounds 'better' (when it's only louder). So you gotta be sure you are actually comparing the two track fairly.

The simplest mastering approach (mainly to prevent clipping and gain some perceived loudness) is to put a Maximizer as the final device in the Master Insert (checking to be sure the 'signal path' is set to "INSERTS PRE COMPRESSOR" is NOT set (the default). On the new Maximizer, click on "4ms Lookahead", and then adjust your input level until you see a few dBs on the gain reduction meter. :-)

I'm a new user and have been experiencing this problem with exported song sounding much more soft and quiet. I have to turn the volume up really loud to hear my beat in my car (compared to any other song), but in Reason it sounds fine (assuming my speakers are turned up really loud on my computer)

I'd like to learn how to do this, can you show me in more detail somehow?

I'd really appreciate it, Thanks

-rawski
(Reason 6.5)
Old 2013-03-04, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by therawski View Post
I'm a new user and have been experiencing this problem with exported song sounding much more soft and quiet. I have to turn the volume up really loud to hear my beat in my car (compared to any other song), but in Reason it sounds fine (assuming my speakers are turned up really loud on my computer)

I'd like to learn how to do this, can you show me in more detail somehow?

I'd really appreciate it, Thanks

-rawski
(Reason 6.5)
The only way to compare tracks is to use exactly the same system. Try this - open a new Reason song and disable EVERYTHING (if you're starting with a template). If you don't know how to do this, it's a good time to check the manual! ;-)

Import a commercial mix you like into this totally empty song, and on another track import the mix you exported. Now you are able to compare the two tracks without any variables. Play one track, then play the other - how do they sound now when compared this way?

If loudness is important to you, and it sounds like it is important, watch the Big Meter and compare the Peak vs VU levels of the two tracks. Understanding the different metering modes and psychoacoustics (how we perceive sound) is important to getting clear and loud sounding mixes. Psychoacoustics come into the picture because even with the same exact peak level, two tracks can be perceived as sounding different in loudness to each other.

As a general rule, if you want a loud mix, the process begins with choosing loud sounding instruments/loops/samples etc. Don't expect to get all of your 'loudness' by slapping a limiter on the mix, although it CAN work if your mix is sounding fairly loud to begin with. I find it easier to get loud sounding mixes by doing a little bit of processing at each stage rather than trying to slam the entire mix into submission. Hope this helps. :-)
USA
Old 2013-03-04, 16:46

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=175437

Read the whole thread and you'll see that I had the same problem and realised it was my settings......for some reason, if you export at a higher setting it sounds cack, you need to export at the same setting you listen at
Old 2013-03-05, 07:44

After some youtube, I learned about the compressor so I used the master compressor on the mixer and raised some levels and was able to get my volume back. It did the job for the beat I was making, but in the future I want to know how to handle it better because I feel like I got lucky adjusting the knobs.

I hear you should use the compressor as a last step, because levels effect how it works, so how can I do processing at each stage to avoid slamming it into submission?

Very helpful, Thanks!
Old 2013-03-06, 15:55

When I play back the music in my car, it is from an mp3 that I export from Audacity, which has limited options but I do not think this is the issue because even when I turn the volume up, I still hear that I am losing the drum that I hear clearly when playing in Reason. What does "dither" do?