Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-02-26, 20:27

how to use master out and control room out together

hello, using win 7 pc, can someone advise me on how to use the master fader and the control room out (with monitoring sends/returns) together please...

i was watching the video with gary broham using the ssl and he talked about the control room out but on the back of the rack the master audio out was left empty and then one of the comments said:

"Just a thought about The Bus-Compressor SideChain Routing .
Wouldn't it be better if the Sidechain Eq is fed from the
Master-output instead the Controlroom Out .
If you lower the level of the control out , the bus comp behaviour will change .
So with the alternate routing you can listen whatever you want ,
the Bus-Comp will sound the same"

so now i'm trying to resolve the whole issue/understand what's going on

the video is here:

http://www.musotalk.de/video/reason-...mham-englisch/

and he starts talking about side chain compression at about 13:52

please help, thanks, j
Old 2013-03-02, 05:46

hello, i even read in the user manual about how to hook up the control room out:
i can do that: switch over the cables that the master out uses on the audio
output rack...

however is there a way to use them both?
are they intended to be used simultaneously?

when i hooked up a spider splitter you could hear the overall level increase
because now channels 1/2 are receiving signal from master out and control room out...

does anyone have any advice/suggestions? thanks a ton, j
Old 2013-03-02, 18:20

I think it depends on how you set up your hardware interface. You would need two output pairs to monitor both master fader and control room out and you need to be able to switch between one and the other because like you mentioned listening to both simultaneously is not right. I use the hardware to control monitor level leaving the master fader and control room pot at unity gain. and if I want to say just monitor the reverb return, I switch with the audio interface control panel. Do you mixdown OTB? If not then I guess you don't need to have the master outs connected at all which is probably the deal that you noted in the video. If you rewire and mixdown into another daw just make sure it's recording the signal from master out.
Old 2013-03-05, 18:02

hello, thanks for the detailed response...i am waiting for my firewire express card in order to hook up my audio interface in order to do what you say which i think'll do the trick...it's an maudio profire 610 which has multiple sets of outs...cheers, j
Old 2013-03-06, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejam View Post
hello, thanks for the detailed response...i am waiting for my firewire express card in order to hook up my audio interface in order to do what you say which i think'll do the trick...it's an maudio profire 610 which has multiple sets of outs...cheers, j
Glad to help. Let me know if you sort it out. (I'm familiar with the maudio FW410)
Old 2013-03-06, 18:13

e.g. route return 3-4 to 1-2 output using the buttons under the faders.Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 12.08.09 PM.jpg