Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-03-09, 15:57

Lightbulb Preset Automation Full-Stop Auto-Save and Song Notes

Preset Automation - Preset waveforms for automation (sine s/h steps etc.)
Full Stop - When you press stop, everything will quit playing (delays loops etc.)
Auto-Save the user's project? (set the time to save every hour for instance)
Song Comments - A notepad every time you open a song

Last edited by theflowerpeople; 2013-03-10 at 02:54. Reason: Edit
Old 2013-03-09, 16:01
Banned

Auto-Save the user's project? (set the time to save every hour for instance) - absolutely needed feature!!! Plus million for that!
Old 2013-03-10, 20:21

i can understand why people want this but i disagree a THOUSAND FOLD unless it can be TOTALLY DISABLED. i've trained myself to work with saving manually as and when i want. any app with autosave füchs me all up and is a nightmare for people that work the way i've explained.
Old 2013-03-11, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaamook View Post
i can understand why people want this but i disagree a THOUSAND FOLD unless it can be TOTALLY DISABLED. i've trained myself to work with saving manually as and when i want. any app with autosave füchs me all up and is a nightmare for people that work the way i've explained.
Of course it will be optional.
Old 2013-03-11, 10:54

perfect.

its just that the morons at apple didn't think that optional was needed and they screwed up a few of their very useful built in apps in recent versions of osx. ever since then the notion of autosave gives me indigestion.
Old 2013-06-10, 13:19

Not only should autosave be optional, of course it should be absolutely non-destructive. Extra-files with a time stamp, saved at user-set intervals, kept to a maximum of a user-set number of files, either deleted on (regular) exit when the original file was saved properly or kept for the user's future use.

Destructive autosave is stupid and bound to cause trouble. Non-destructive autosave is an invaluable feature that saved my butt a gazillion of times in my day-job. And, as it happens, would have saved two hours of song-creation before my laptop crashed twenty minutes ago. At least I saved the original instrument setup.
Old 2013-06-10, 17:17

I think what is being suggested is "Auto Backup". Auto backup is a great feature in other apps and has bee suggested here before. Auto Save, not so much.

I hope the difference between automatically saving the current file vs automatically creating a backup(s) is clear. :-)
USA
Old 2013-06-11, 22:05

Yes, auto backup is needed in reason as the other day, 6.5.1 crashed on me and I lost at least half an hours work of a decent song. Luckily I'd remembered what I did so I quickly remade it. But it would save a lot of time it it had a backup file I could go to
Old 2013-06-11, 22:07

Also it's good to have different versions of a auto saved song, so backups would fix this issue
Old 2013-06-11, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthammond View Post
Also it's good to have different versions of a auto saved song, so backups would fix this issue
Under the current situation, multiple backups of large files would quickly fill a drive. The reason this works in other apps is that the session file (in Pro Tools, for example) is a relatively small file and the audio files are stored separately. In Reason, the song file can sometimes be double the size of the audio file being imported. For example, I just took a 52.5 MB audio file and imported it into an empty song file, then saved it. The resultant Reason song file was 105.9 MB! BTW, save and optimize did nothing to reduce the file size.

What Reason needs IMO is a "version" system, which has MANY advantages beyond quick auto backups. It can help when collaborating so you can share only the newest audio tracks with your co-creators (and they can import only those tracks with all associated devices). It can help with creating different mix versions or alternate edits of a song without having to save the entire song. It can help when mixing multiple songs from a single project, allowing you to save all mixer etc settings from the first song mixed and then apply those settings/FX etc to each new song you mix.

I've outlined my specific ideas of how this should work in this thread for anyone interested:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=140604
USA