Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-10-11, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSequence View Post
It would be really interesting to see scripting inside Reason (a la Max/ISP or Max4Live or something along those lines), but I guarantee it would be a monumental flop for 99.9999999999999% of Reason users. They tried it in Adobe Photoshop, and nobody but the braniac team at Adobe use it.
Well, I know at least one person who uses scripting in Photoshop every day. I'd love to see scripting in Reason.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:08

Oldie but goodie.

Sorry for the necropostage... Just ran across this suggestion and felt it merited a bump. Anyway, props to the OP for a fine idea: the Polyphonizer sounds like an amazingly quick and controllable way to achieve nice Prophet5/Oberheim-level girth from synths and drums.

My only addendum would be to request it also possess audio-processing capabilities. I realize that may sound dumb since I could just route the audio through a Neptune and have actual control over the polyphony via the keyboard, but that would probably slow the computer down unnecessarily given Neptune's processor munching latency. Instead, I can see an application for this as a SuperUnison (only expand the detune's range to encompass 12-step transposition) module to fatten up thin or roomy vocals, or dial in that sparkly juuuuuuust-out-of-phase ABBA doubling sound, or simulate crowd chants (which I seem to be doing a lot of since expanding my repertoire to hip-hop production).

I realize all these effects can already be achieved with some minor futzing, but there's nothing wrong with speedy solutions. It'd also be cool to CV-modulate multiple detuned instances of the "protovoice" while keeping their processing characteristics "the same" relative to one another, or to automate strange choral effects by taking the signal and using the "clone"-deadicated detune/transpose knobs to slowly/unevenly dial in chords from the "protovoice" in a continuous portamento-ish way.

My 2 pence.

Last edited by danmazal; 2013-03-10 at 17:11.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:20

Yeah, I just feel that solutions like Ochen K's A-Series and Distributor, while excellent, areso tedious to work with when doing complex setups. The Polyphonizer is also something that needs to be included in Reason (not a RE) imho.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Yeah, I just feel that solutions like Ochen K's A-Series and Distributor, while excellent, areso tedious to work with when doing complex setups. The Polyphonizer is also something that needs to be included in Reason (not a RE) imho.
Agreed -- if nothing else than because it is a meta-wrapper like the Combi. Have never read the SDK, but I feel like I haven't really seen any REs that have Combi-esque breadth like this.
Old 2013-03-10, 23:27

Thanks for the bump!

Your addition puzzles me though - at what stage and how would input audio be detuned? You can't just play it slower (it'd drift behind, which is bad) or forward (drift forward, which is not only bad, but impossible). Built-in Neptune/Polar style pitch shift is the only way to transpose it in real time that I know of, but it's the thing you're trying to get away from.

The only solution I can come up with is oscillating pitch shift (kind of like a chorus), although that wouldn't accommodate transposition, just chorus effects. But if that is sufficient then the Polyphonizer already does it. Just insert your audio input into a chorus inside the Polyphonizer (remember, all input audio from outside the Polyphonizer to any device inside would be split into all the virtual clones, just as any audio output pulled from an inside device to an outside destination would be summed at that stage), and then introduce a tiny bit of randomness to the chorus LFO, to ensure they run out of phase with each other.

By the way, I half-suspect from your post that even you misunderstand what the Polyphonizer is about, at least to some degree. This is very common, so even if you don't, I'd really like to reiterate.
People seem to think that the Polyphonizer is designed to create unison - unison was not even among the original functions of it, but was suggested by eXode. The purpose of the Polyphonizer was simply to turn a monophonic chain (a synth set to mono mode and a couple of non-linear effects, for example) into what's basically a polyphonic modular instrument, with the devices being analogous to modules. I don't understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp, maybe I just suck at conveying it.
Old 2013-03-10, 23:30

I forgot - I've reuploaded the illustration for page 1 so that it is of full resolution and legibility once more ^^
Old 2013-03-11, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokeijikaku View Post
People seem to think that the Polyphonizer is designed to create unison - unison was not even among the original functions of it, but was suggested by eXode. The purpose of the Polyphonizer was simply to turn a monophonic chain (a synth set to mono mode and a couple of non-linear effects, for example) into what's basically a polyphonic modular instrument, with the devices being analogous to modules. I don't understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp, maybe I just suck at conveying it.
It's the original purpose that I really like, to do stuff similar to i.e. A-Series or Distributor but with MUCH less hassle.

The stuff I suggested was just meant to be viewed as a possible addition to that concept.
Old 2013-03-11, 20:23

Same here -- I was just imagining the polyphonizer to also be a harmonizer. It would go in the insert section of an audio track. Sorry to be brief... at work.