Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-03, 00:57
TheAdmiral

Balance... without a computer?

Hello!

My question is slightly insane, but I've not been able to find the answer anywhere else! I'm wondering, is it possible to use the Balance audio interface without a computer?

Right now I have an M-Audio MobilePre that I would like to replace. It's bus-powered like the Balance, but there's something neat you can do with it: If you plug it into a USB phone charger (just a standard 5V 500mA charger), it powers up. Turn on Direct Monitor and it sends audio to the outputs! I can sit somewhere else with my laptop, and I get to use my MobilePre as little amp for my monitor speakers.

So, does anyone know if this is possible with the Balance? And if not, is anyone willing to try it for me? :D
Old 2013-01-03, 02:34

I don't have a Balance interface but my NI Komplete Audio 6 works fine without a computer. Note that USB chargers can vary so find one that can supply sufficient current when phantom power is switched on.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:01
TheAdmiral

Thanks for your reply Ian… I might look at getting the NI Komplete Audio 6 instead then. Balance looks fantastic but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of buying it, finding it won't work without the computer, then having to sell it again!
Old 2013-01-07, 12:52

I don't have Balance (yet) or I'd check for you, but I think it should be able to. If no one responds soon you could send a message to support real quick before choosing something else. I think it's worth the time.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:58

hello mr Admiral

I just tried it and sadly must say: it didn't work for me.
at least not with an iPhone adapter.
Old 2013-03-13, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMOMs View Post
hello mr Admiral

I just tried it and sadly must say: it didn't work for me.
at least not with an iPhone adapter.
DAMN! I had the same question... Did you try holding the mute button to allow direct monitoring? I was hoping to be able to use Balance kind of as a mini-mixer as well...
Old 2013-03-13, 02:44

The bummer about Balance as a "mixer" is that it doesn't mix channels. In live monitor mode, you can hear the output of your computer (coming over USB) mixed with ONE selected channel on the balance, and that's it. Well, technically two inputs if they're mono... but you get my point I hope. It doesn't actually mix the 4 sets of inputs in any way at all.

I had kinda thought it did when I bought it, and was surprised and disappointed that it didn't... but I decided I liked it anyway so I kept it.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-07-27, 19:02

i've tried iPhone charger... nothing happened! >8-0
Old 2013-11-14, 21:20

It appears Balance does not work without windows/mac usb connectivity - apparently some driver is required to enable the hw or whatever... No they don't tell you that, and yes it sucks.

I ended up buying a Behrenger q502usb and Balance is pretty much scrap metal now.

/Sune
Old 2013-11-14, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunespam View Post
It appears Balance does not work without windows/mac usb connectivity - apparently some driver is required to enable the hw or whatever... No they don't tell you that, and yes it sucks.

I ended up buying a Behrenger q502usb and Balance is pretty much scrap metal now.

/Sune
It is sold as an audio interface that is connected to a computer to allow the user to direct various sources of audio into digital audio programs running on the computer.
Anybody buying it for what it is designed/advertised/described to do won't be disappointed.

Grum.