Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-13, 22:43

"External Midi Instrument" possiblities??

For all you beta testers and gurus out there, with these expanded master signals offered up in Reason 7 is there any chance of using the external midi instrument to control other DAWs? I've long dreamed of running Reason as a master and not just a slave in rewire because i'm so comfortable with the sequencer. I know talk of VSTs sends the forum into the a frenzy, but if i could sequence and mod Massive through the reason interface... well, that would be just swell.
Old 2013-03-13, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcomeman View Post
For all you beta testers and gurus out there, with these expanded master signals offered up in Reason 7 is there any chance of using the external midi instrument to control other DAWs? I've long dreamed of running Reason as a master and not just a slave in rewire because i'm so comfortable with the sequencer. I know talk of VSTs sends the forum into the a frenzy, but if i could sequence and mod Massive through the reason interface... well, that would be just swell.
Does the MIDI control rack device have to go only to external hardware? MIDI is MIDI, seems like you'd be able to send wherever you wanted it to go.
Old 2013-03-13, 23:21

The one aspect of this that has some appeal to me is being able to wire in CV controls. That could provide some interesting possibilities. I use Reason within Pro Tools, and so mostly do all my MIDI control of my external synths via MIDI tracks in PT. But with this new rack module, I'm wondering what new possibilities might be there.
Old 2013-03-14, 00:56

I don't know about controlling other DAWs, might be possible if Reason 7 is able output MTC (midi time code) as well. But Standalone synths/samplers should work just about as good with the external midi device as hardware. You would just need to do virtual routing for audio and midi.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:06

I've used the midi out to to control a stand alone copy of Massive, routed the audio out to the input of Reason and recorded the sound. Worked well.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:52

Will MIDI out via ReWire?

If anyone knows, will the MIDI out work via ReWire? In other words, I typically use Reason by ReWiring it into Ableton Live or Pro Tools. So will the Reason MIDI out appear as a MIDI source via ReWire, or will I have to route MIDI out of a hardware device and then back into Live or Pro Tools? I can use hardware routing, but it would be much more convenient to have it work via ReWire.
Old 2013-03-15, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper8167 View Post
I've used the midi out to to control a stand alone copy of Massive, routed the audio out to the input of Reason and recorded the sound. Worked well.
This is brilliant, i hadn't thought of that before. I've never used a stand alone synth. do you have to play it perfectly because there is no sequencer? cuz that could be a problem...
Old 2013-03-16, 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcomeman View Post
This is brilliant, i hadn't thought of that before. I've never used a stand alone synth. do you have to play it perfectly because there is no sequencer? cuz that could be a problem...
Nope. That is the thing about sequencing, get your "performance" right and it is right every time. Only when necessary do you need to convert to audio. Generally as late in the mix as possible to allow for any extra tweaks needed.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth