Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-14, 14:03

Post 6.5 upgrade to reason 7

- "Anybody who purchases Reason or a Reason Upgrade from an authorized dealer after March 1st qualifies for a free upgrade to version 7 of Reason."

Got my 6.5 about 1.5 months ago (or even later... do not recall exactly).

I was curious about what will happen to people, who got 6.5 from the start... would they get free upgrade? I see now, that the answer is NO (for now).

Dear Props, you really should give this ability for those who got 6.5 version right away even before March the 1st.

I believe the tool is fine, I also believe programmers must eat, so software needs to be rewarded, but it happens that a big part of immediate v6.5 users pay more for the usage period than the immediate v6 or v7 users, which is NOT FAIR.

I hope that you understand that.

Best regards.

Last edited by leosat; 2013-03-14 at 22:24.
Old 2013-03-14, 14:27

6.5 was an update...and it was free. Reason 6 was the Upgrade.

Therefore you should look at the time period from when Reason 6 was released (Q3 2011) and to when Reason 7 is going to be released (Q2 2013) and you will notice that it is well over a grace period for them to say give it for free.

Once again.. Reason 7 is an Upgrade...not an Update.

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2013-03-14, 14:57

Exclamation

Ha ha ha ...

I understand your point. This is a game of terms.
There are all 'releases', major or minor, it really doesn't matter.

But now it is completely clear:
buying 6.5 right away was THE MISTAKE.

Users who bought 6.5 right away are paying MORE during the usage period relatively to what pay those who had version 6 and had more time and update to 6.5

Also, those who got 6.5 earlier than 1st of March pay more during the usage period of time than those who get's version 7 right away.

Great marketing.

I knew that it might happen,
the really sad thing is that it is really happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSidious View Post
6.5 was an update...and it was free. Reason 6 was the Upgrade.

Therefore you should look at the time period from when Reason 6 was released (Q3 2011) and to when Reason 7 is going to be released (Q2 2013) and you will notice that it is well over a grace period for them to say give it for free.

Once again.. Reason 7 is an Upgrade...not an Update.

Last edited by leosat; 2013-03-14 at 15:05.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:09

Exclamation

Please, understand correctly:

I'm not saying that programmers are not to be rewarded,

But it happens that a big part of immediate v6.5 users pay more for the usage period than the immediate v6 or v7 users, which is NOT FAIR.

Last edited by leosat; 2013-03-14 at 15:11.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:24

This is how software works. You need to buy early if you want value for money. Otherwise you risk the situation you are in now. It's no different for any software update and may be one of the reasons that some companies are moving to a licence lease model.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:35

Yep...

I was expecting Props to be more 'fair' in that field...
Declaring that a subset of immediate 6.5 users is somehow 'more lucky' than the other one reminds me an old anecdote:

- So, we've got those 100 resume's ... ok, now we take something about a half from the top.. ok, now I throw them to a trash bin...
- Why?
- Cos' they are not lucky.
- Oh, yes, we do not need those who are not lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
This is how software works. You need to buy early if you want value for money. Otherwise you risk the situation you are in now. It's no different for any software update and may be one of the reasons that some companies are moving to a licence lease model.

Last edited by leosat; 2013-03-14 at 15:38.
Old 2013-03-14, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosat View Post
Yep...

I was expecting Props to be more 'fair' in that field...
Declaring that a subset of immediate 6.5 users is somehow 'more lucky' than the other one reminds me an old anecdote:

- So, we've got those 100 resume's ... ok, now we take something about a half from the top.. ok, now I throw them to a trash bin...
- Why?
- Cos' they are not lucky.
- Oh, yes, we do not need those who are not lucky.
Hey, first thing, it looks like an update not an upgrade , so first off all it should be free for already registered reason 6,5 users. Actually, some of new things like, group buses, and improved editing should be in there long time ago. It still not a protools, and i believe they are still behind. So to me it sounds ridicules to pay 129E for this upgrade as it doesnt change much. And they know it!! Otherwise it wouldnt be free for new reason owners!! Maybe its a time to consider of selling it.?
Old 2013-03-14, 16:55

Really, will they charge 129 Euro for this ? Did they attract some Avid people or something ? This would be the first time Propellerheads would disappoint... shame...

Logic Pro 9 for 179,99 seems the way to go then...
Old 2013-03-14, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethan View Post
Hey, first thing, it looks like an update not an upgrade , so first off all it should be free for already registered reason 6,5 users. Actually, some of new things like, group buses, and improved editing should be in there long time ago. It still not a protools, and i believe they are still behind. So to me it sounds ridicules to pay 129E for this upgrade as it doesnt change much. And they know it!! Otherwise it wouldnt be free for new reason owners!! Maybe its a time to consider of selling it.?
So where is the free Pro Tools upgrade which adds virtual racks, cables and CV control? They're ridiculously behind on that!

Same goes for Logic and Reaper.
Old 2013-03-14, 17:20

im speechless. i just purchased the FULL Reason 6.5 on 2/23/13 ...had i waited to register it 5 days later i would've been eligible for the free upgrade to 7. unbelievable.