Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-14, 06:37

From what they have revealed thus far; no upgrades to the sequencer which is still lagging. It's a mission to edit simple MIDI data in Reason in comparison to Logic Pro and FL Studio. Propellerheads to hurry up and dedicate some resources to this. It's still almost the same since Reason 1.
Old 2013-03-14, 09:26

As i saw in another response: a good product costs money. I agree.

Here's how i look at it :
A product that costs me 10Euro's should keep me entertained for at least an hour. Thats about the hourly rate i pay for when i go to a movie. Its less then what i pay when i go to dinner. When i consider something that helps me do my work, i'd pay even more.
Therefor the (i think) 120 euro's is worth either 12 hours of fun, or 6 hours of work ( if not less ). I have no doubt the new features will live up to those costs.

For all those Reason owners saying these features should allready have been included i would like to ask: At one point you decided its good value for your money and decided to buy, what changed ?

Last edited by Knoeier; 2013-03-14 at 09:31.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoeier View Post
As i saw in another response: a good product costs money. I agree.

Here's how i look at it :
A product that costs me 10Euro's should keep me entertained for at least an hour. Thats about the hourly rate i pay for when i go to a movie. Its less then what i pay when i go to dinner. When i consider something that helps me do my work, i'd pay even more.
Therefor the (i think) 120 euro's is worth either 12 hours of fun, or 6 hours of work ( if not less ). I have no doubt the new features will live up to those costs.

For all those Reason owners saying these features should allready have been included i would like to ask: At one point you decided its good value for your money and decided to buy, what changed ?
For me, it kind of gets to me when I look at the world of DAW and VST's out there and see all this innovation happening on the regular. Much of it just being obscure little free VSTs from good programmers. Nice to have that option. When you do pay for VST's you really get your money's worth from what I've seen. Some really innovative stuff out there now. A great deal of what's new to Reason is laughably old to DAW and vst users. i didn't realize how old until I saw 10 year old vst synth plug ins that are being re-packaged as the latest and greatest in the rack extension store.

I invested a great deal of money into Reason and I love the way it is setup for the most part, but that doesn't mean you just blindly accept what you have as being the best. Over the years they have been throwing crumbs at you, and you get used to it after awhile. You think WOW THOR!!! and for the next 4 years hardly nothing. Then KONG!!!! then for the next few years....nothing. Then they realize wow, we are really falling behind our competition. We have to open this program up or else. So lets have others innovate for us and charge users via extensions ....and now all of the workflow things that have been suggested since version 1 came out (midi out, built in recycle, bus mixing, better sequencer ect)...lets add that and charge.

I think users who invested in the initial "all you will need is this one program to make great music" idea have every right to let off a little steam without getting the gearslutz treatment. Reason is an entirely different program now, and in being so they should truly open it up now. Let outside developers release extensions for free if they wish. Bundle some of the extensions and price them for what they are REALLY worth (the Korg legacy collection gives you 6 nice synths for $199 usd, including the polysix). Paying $100 for one 10 year old synth that could be reproduced in THOR or in a decent Combinator refill is not my idea of innovation. Also when you do something as big as extensions, do it right. Reason 7 should have been the extensions AND the "finally they did it" additions they added.

Reason is still incredible. With great refill makers like jiggery-pokery and nucleus-soundlab, I am still able to make a great living with it. I just wish Props would 'catch up' and then move ahead.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:18

Exclamation

A big part of immediate v6.5 users (who got it before the 1st March) pay more for the usage period than the immediate v6 or v7 users, which is NOT FAIR.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosat View Post
A big part of immediate v6.5 users (who got it before the 1st March) pay more for the usage period than the immediate v6 or v7 users, which is NOT FAIR.
That's how software works, to get the most out of each version you need to buy near the release date.
Old 2013-03-15, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyluck View Post
I got the same deal going from Reason 4 to Reason 5. I bought 5 towards the end of it's run. The downside? I didn't have Reason 5 that entire time! So, then I was allowed to upgrade to Reason 6 for free (even though it was "name your own price").

It's just giving folks incentive to purchase the current version while knowing the new version is about to hit shelves. Otherwise, nobody (or not many people) would bother to purchase the current version—they'd wait for the new one. That would create a drop in revenues, which isn't good while running a business.

And, it's just a nice gesture. They can't offer that to all of us, or else we'd never pay to upgrade.
I learned how to use Reason 4 a few months ago. I bought the Reason 5 upgrade over 3 years ago. I was going to learn 5 and then get 6, but this upgrade deal was hard to pass. I have never really used 5. This is a big jump from 4 to 6 for me.
I doubt I'll buy any rack extensions. People who used previous versions never need them.
Old 2013-03-15, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
I learned how to use Reason 4 a few months ago. I bought the Reason 5 upgrade over 3 years ago. I was going to learn 5 and then get 6, but this upgrade deal was hard to pass. I have never really used 5. This is a big jump from 4 to 6 for me.
I doubt I'll buy any rack extensions. People who used previous versions never need them.
That's what many people said (about not buying rack extensions)
but then you get curious, then you try them, then you don't have them after 30 days, then you might miss them and buy some. I currently only own 3 (bitspeek, echobode, and glitch). All delivered something I felt was unique that I couldn't accomplish in Reason otherwise. There are others I want as well, but gotta draw the line somewhere with the monies lol.
Old 2013-03-15, 01:30

Question

disappointed in the community
? Who's funding you?