Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-16, 10:38

Musical style

Does anybody talk about the principles of composition on this music forum. I find that most examples of music presented here repeat a motive for longer than my attention span; about 17 to 27 seconds.

Is it too easy to put in long passages that have very little variation or is there a commercial necessity for this monotony? Is there a worldwide desire by most people to listen to the beat of the tyres and the hum of an engine on a motorway? Do they want their music to imitate this?

I am wondering whether there are variations in some of these passages that my ears are missing. The lyrics are very good in many pieces but the accompaniment of the band is not as varied as it used to be - so it seems to me. My ears were attuned to the big bands of the 1930s-1940s.

I could be a complete freak who should have gone the way of the dinosaurs. I hope I do not suffer alone.