Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-15, 21:31

Johan,
I battled trying to get a mastered track by using Reason alone for a LONG time. Dude, Reason can NOT, i repeat, CAN NOT do what Ozone does for mastering. Trust me!
use reason to get the best 2 channel mix you can possibly get. Then run that mix thru ozone, it's the only way your going to get what your looking for.
Old 2013-03-15, 22:15

Thanks for sharing! I found an Ozone "before and after" clip, it seems to do magic.
Old 2013-03-15, 22:21

It truly does. I almost feel like i'm cheating by using it. Dont kid yourself though. it's ULTRA .. SUPER... AMZINGLY complex if you aren't familiar with the stuff it's actually doing.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:23

Ozone 5 came very highly recommended in all the home recording mags. I use the basic version. There is also a much more expensive version which appears to offer more versatility.

What I like about Ozone is that the presets make it so easy to use and they all carry-out several changes at the same time with regards to added effects, compression, eq-adjustment, etc. Everything can be over-ridden but I have found no need to learn all of that and no need to spend the vast amount of time it would take to learn how to use it "properly". I should imagine that the mastering tools within Reason could produce similar results if you took the time to experiment with them. I prefer to spend my time writing and recording my songs, then using Ozone, the mastering can be completed very quickly. Mike

Last edited by MikeRex; 2013-03-16 at 01:27.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:31

That is why it's best to use the presets. There are a huge number to choose from but using Excite and Widen, then another one such as Country Master Rock, CM Pop, or whatever on top of that, gives fantastic results - far more power, impact and volume, which seems to be what radio stations, in particular, are wanting nowadays.
Old 2013-03-16, 15:08

Yes, definitely the pre-sets. To me it seems complicated enough having to use two programs outside Reason for proper mastering. Maybe it could be worthwhile to first wait and see what Reason 7 will offer in this respect?

Thanks again for sharing