Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-16, 10:38

Musical style

Does anybody talk about the principles of composition on this music forum. I find that most examples of music presented here repeat a motive for longer than my attention span; about 17 to 27 seconds.

Is it too easy to put in long passages that have very little variation or is there a commercial necessity for this monotony? Is there a worldwide desire by most people to listen to the beat of the tyres and the hum of an engine on a motorway? Do they want their music to imitate this?

I am wondering whether there are variations in some of these passages that my ears are missing. The lyrics are very good in many pieces but the accompaniment of the band is not as varied as it used to be - so it seems to me. My ears were attuned to the big bands of the 1930s-1940s.

I could be a complete freak who should have gone the way of the dinosaurs. I hope I do not suffer alone.
Old 2013-03-16, 21:58

It would seem you would like an acedemic argument. I to was raised on jazz but not limited to it. I love Rock, Fusion, "Classical" and any thing that is "heavy" and melodic.
My brother is a Professor of jazz at a university in the U.S. and when a new prospective student is interviewed my brother asks the question what instrument do they play. He says the reply on average is that they play "Pro-Tools". We both laugh. But this may be indicative of where we are headed in the composition approach.
Reason has been, I my humble opinion been, the domain of Dub Step, House, Trance, Rap and all other types of club style music. So one has to understand this type of music will be predominant here. I submit everything that I write here because I appreciate the input from a Recording/Mastering/Mixing set of skilled people. I am not sure they like my style of music but they almost always offer a suggestion for my pruduction growth.
Music is certainly subjective and I would love to hear your contribution here at Propellerhead. Here is a intro of a concerto I am working on. I submitted it here and got quite a few really good compliments. Its four minutes long and for the most part in modulates between a Gmaj and G#maj chords. Let me know what you think.

OR
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
Old 2013-03-16, 22:44

Like you, I listen to several types of music with equal pleasure. My early life was an intro to operettas, eleven years old, orchestral music, then popular songs and show tunes. Jazz trad and modern, some days chamber music other days - I could go on.

I am not academic - just thought even a dub step could follow the principle of repetition with variations. This is the music forum and I wondered why no-one was discussing the form of music.

I listened to your piece and would like to hear the completed works. The oboe and bassoon provide a good contrast but could be emphasized just a wee bit. I had no trouble with my 17 to 27 second attention span problem -classical music in general is moving all the time.

Nearly all dub step and the like relies on the listener being, in his mind, on the dance floor.
Old 2013-03-16, 23:02

Stay in touch as I really enjoy music and enjoy talking about it even more. The second and third movements are about one third done. Orchestral music is hard for me as that is not my forte. Let alone a conerto for guitar as I would prefer to hear Sigovia and the like like instead of my self. Perhaps there is a dance mix I could throw in the mix.
Old 2013-03-17, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
Stay in touch as I really enjoy music and enjoy . . . Perhaps there is a dance mix I could throw in the mix.
Shall try to keep in touch.

I heard a member of the English aristocracy - yes! the real one - on the BBC a few weeks ago. He had the remarkable ability to hear a piece of music once and then play it in almost any style. I shouldn't surprised if he could turn classical music into dub step. Anything can be done with a bit of imagination, a touch of genius and a modicum of perspiration.
Old 2013-03-17, 13:21

I listen to anything I like. On my phone I have rap, rock, funk, DNB, dubstep etc etc. I love it all. Dance music is reptative (is that spelt right?!) so that people can dance to it. Think back to tribal music that you have heard and it is a beat repeated over and over. As already started reason started as a very dance orientated bit of software, I think that was what most people using it started on, I know I did. I still do. Plus in dance music small variation is the key. A little break in the drums has a big impact when your in a club dancing to some heavy DnB. Also I do think, even in real music (as in rock, pop etc etc) the audience need things dumbed down for them. Modem music audiences need some thing they can remeber easily. I read that, as an example, on call by Kings of Leon was made to appeal to the American audience as it was very simple and catcty. And it worked, it became a huge hit for them in the USA. Me, I don't care if the song changes every 4 bars 8 bars or every 32 bars, as long as it sounds good.
Old 2013-03-17, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty82 View Post
Me, I don't care if the song changes every 4 bars 8 bars or every 32 bars, as long as it sounds good.
I suppose I have the same approach but very often I switch off after 30 seconds, save on my download allowance, stop annoying the neighbours, keep my sanity and imagine that the song will go on doing what it was doing for the rest of time.
Old 2013-03-17, 21:49

I'm sorry but this post just comes across as self-impressed. Make the music you want to make and put it on this forum for comments if you want. Make the criticisms you want to make of the peoples' music one here - they've asked for it by posting it here. If you find the music and/or criticism isn't to your taste then stop frequenting the forum, or adjust your expectations, or add music/make comments to change the content.

What's your point exactly? If you're just trying to tell us you don't like repetitive music...well, fine. So what? If you're trying to make a musicological point, I really think you're going to have to do better.

https://soundcloud.com/snakeofjune

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-18, 01:48

SnakeofJune I listened to this song of yours and really liked it.
"parity - synth driven hip hop"
Old 2013-03-18, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeofjune View Post
I'm sorry but this post just comes across as self-impressed. Make the music you want to make and put it on this forum for comments if you want. Make the criticisms you want to make of the peoples' music one here - they've asked for it by posting it here. If you find the music and/or criticism isn't to your taste then stop frequenting the forum, or adjust your expectations, or add music/make comments to change the content.

What's your point exactly? If you're just trying to tell us you don't like repetitive music...well, fine. So what? If you're trying to make a musicological point, I really think you're going to have to do better.
Steady-up snakeofjune. I am just trying to expand the range of debates on the forum, putting my own point of view and inviting others to put forward other viewpoints. Thats what I like about forums. This one is called the Music Forum. Enjoy the forum and not just the music.