Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-23, 03:49

I just rebuilt my Windows desktop. I used i5-3570k, on a new Gigabyte Z77 motherboard. I added 16 GB of 1600MHz ram. Spent about $300. I couldn't be happier with Reason's performance in all aspects. You can save some money by not buying the i7 3770k, maybe up to $100.

As someone said, you will not take advantage of the i7's virtual cores in rendering your songs. On the flip side of my point above, you can find some sweet deals on processor and motherboard combos which may support your decision to get the i7. Checkout Microcenter if you have one in your area or their website. And I have no association with that company!

Most folks I know only get the i7 if they are doing video editing. Either way you go, you will not regret your decision.
Old 2013-03-23, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkhead View Post
Today I installed my new hand build system, with i7 3770 cpu.

It's the one without th "K" , because I'm not an overclocker anymore (don't need the unlocked multiplier) and it was 36 euro's cheaper than the "K" version. So I put that 36 euro's on my SSD budget and got a super fast Samsung 128 GB SSD to run windows 7. It starts up in just 10 seconds ... amazing

I just tried all demosongs at lowest latency and I'm not even above one dsp bar.
Tomorow gonna load my heaviest projects my Q6600 quadcore could hardly handle, see how this i7 holds up
Proceed now to the "stress test" thread in the user forum, sir!
This new computer I have gets through it without blinking for comparison, check my first post in that thread. It was pitiful.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by u88gbp View Post
As someone said, you will not take advantage of the i7's virtual cores in rendering your songs.
This is not true. Reason does utilize Hyperthreading (virtual cores) for everything except rendering audio. This includes GUI drawing, high quality stretch+resample and disk I/O.

I'm not sure where people are getting this from (that HT isn't taken advantage of). Perhaps it's the old mention in the manual that Pentium 4 single-core processors should have Hyperthreading turned off in Reason, but who uses a Pentium 4 anymore??? (ducks)

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...8&postcount=26
Old 2013-03-23, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Proceed now to the "stress test" thread in the user forum, sir!
This new computer I have gets through it without blinking for comparison, check my first post in that thread. It was pitiful.
sir yes sir ! <o

Edit: made it through the whole song without crackles @ 512 samples (7ms) latency. I guess that's quite good.
I will test it on my Q6600 aswel later today.

Last edited by Bonkhead; 2013-03-23 at 10:58.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:24

Oh yes, the k means overclockable, I confused this (it was really late here, haha!).

Thanks for enlighting me, then I will probably get some i7.

Will I get better performance when overclocking? Or is RAM more important?
Old 2013-03-23, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessfee View Post
Will I get better performance when overclocking? Or is RAM more important?
Yes you get better performance when overclocking - that's the whole point behind it! That said, it's not for the faint of heart. I'd suggest you read up on the process at various tech based forums such as HardOCP and Anandtech (there are many other communities, these are just the two that pop into my mind). RAM can be left at stock speeds but of course will run faster if you overclock it. I'd be careful with RAM, though - clock and cas speeds tend to be a bit more finicky when overclocking.

The idea is to squeeze extra performance out of your CPU and/or RAM without having to spend the money to buy a faster clocked component. That said, there is a sweet spot that you must find between buying the components to overclock (which tend to be slightly more expensive than their non-overclocked counterparts) and balancing the cost compared to just buying a faster component and running it at stock speeds.
Old 2013-03-23, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
This is not true. Reason does utilize Hyperthreading (virtual cores) for everything except rendering audio. This includes GUI drawing, high quality stretch+resample and disk I/O.

I'm not sure where people are getting this from (that HT isn't taken advantage of). Perhaps it's the old mention in the manual that Pentium 4 single-core processors should have Hyperthreading turned off in Reason, but who uses a Pentium 4 anymore??? (ducks)

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...8&postcount=26
Oh geez. That is what I meant to say! I learned the bit about rendering songs from one of the postings from a props engineer on this forum. Not sure how my message came across to others, but my take from the props engineer is that Reason uses virtual cores for most things except rendering your final song (.wav or .aiff.). That said, I'm happy with the i5 3570k performance in all aspects, as I can never get the processor usage past 50% or so, even with the heaviest amount of devices. I5 or i7 are both great processors!

Last edited by jzquantum; 2013-03-23 at 18:22.
Old 2013-03-23, 22:38

I think it is better with i7 cause it supports hyperthreading. I think i5 doesn't support it (other user should know about this). I have an Intel i7 and it works fine.
Old 2013-03-24, 12:15

Yes the new i7 makes overclocking very easy. And I know that it gives a greater performance.

But in most cases you read about overclocking in terms of boosting performance in games.

Overclocking RAM for instance gives no better performance with games as far as I read.

I barely found informaton on overclocking and audio applicatioins, hence my questions.
Old 2013-03-24, 14:06

Increasing the cpu cycles improves performance in any cpu hungry program, such as music production. Overclocking ram on the new I7's and the z77 or higher motherboards is dodgy at best. It all depends on the quality of ram and the cpu motherboard and ram don't tolerate out of spec timings very well with these set ups. I would rather get faster ram then overclock it. I currently have mine at 4.5 ghz and there is a noticeable difference in reasons performance. If you do overclock hard you need a good case, airflow, and cpu cooler as it will get hot, and quality thermal paste, and a very stable power supply or it will all fall apart.