Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-23, 16:32

Inspiration help

Hello everyone,

What do you do to get inspiration for making / writing music? Do you ever go through long periods of time without doing anything musically or is that normal? How do you get back into it?

I am fortunate enough to have a good career and can afford my own home recording studio, I use reason and logic, UA preamps, MOTU interface. I have multiple guitars and basses, drums and keyboards. I am not a very good musician but I like to dabble and can play a bit of everything. So you would think that I would be a recording master by now, that I would have loads of songs that I could share on the PH forums but no.

Over the past year I have spent very little time in my studio. With my job and other obligations I cant seem to find the time, motivation or inspiration to get at it. If I spend an afternoon in the studio, I feel like I wasted time when I could have been tending to work that needs to be done around the house. With all the new gear and all the features of the software it gets a little overwhelming. It's to the point now where I am thinking about throwing in the towel on it and selling most of my gear. I don't want to because so much is invested but it seems like a waste to have if I'm not using it and it would free up a lot of space around the house. Recording has started to become that hobby you love but can't ever get around to doing anything with it.

My apologies for venting but any suggestions, inspiration / motivation techniques, processes would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2013-03-23, 17:08

OMG I know exactly how you feel. I have the same issue - when I'm spending time doing music I feel guilty that I'm not doing something "productive" either in my profession or around the house, with my family, etc. You're not alone in that.

For me I think it all comes down to giving myself permission. I'll decide for example that one day is a music day. That's what I'm doing that day. It's pre-allocated and potentially even scheduled on my calendar. Just like making a date to go see a movie or visit a friend or do anything else I want to do in life. And it helps if I also have permission from my significant other, although she would think it silly of me to ask... it helps my own subconscious to ask her if she minds that I take a "day off" to spend doing music.

As for inspiration... listening to other music in a genre I like certainly doesn't hurt. Exploring my absurdly-large Refill collection also makes it pretty easy to get ideas. Also advice I heard from Olivia Broadfield in an interview was that most of your music is going to be crap, and occasionally something brilliant comes out. But you have to get the crap out of the way to allow the brilliant to come through. So just create... create lots of crap as quickly as you can and the brilliant stuff will come faster.

I hope that helps, but just know that you're not alone in this for sure...

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-23, 17:19
Banned

It has been 15 days from my last track, so I feel completely out of any inspiration to do something at the moment!

When the time will come I dunno, but it defo will come!

So yeah, it's sucks!
Old 2013-03-23, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post
most of your music is going to be crap, and occasionally something brilliant comes out. But you have to get the crap out of the way to allow the brilliant to come through. So just create...
Brillant indeed!
Old 2013-03-23, 17:58

Thanks for the reply, it helps for sure.

I think I may have to schedule a day to record some "crap" and see what comes out. I work shift work which makes it hard to get a routine down for hobbies but I may have to look at taking an afternoon or an entire day while on each set days off, start small and see if I can catch the recording bug again. I have no worries about my significant other's permission. She is always trying to get me to go into the studio. I guess it's just me fighting myself.

Thats really good advice from Olivia, I heard similar advice when it came to writing lyrics for songs. Someone said to write down everything that comes to mind no matter how dumb or how much nonsense it is, that way it makes room and clears your mind for better more focussed lyrics to make a great song.
I guess I just never applied that to recording. Where I don't get much time to go in the studio I want to do the impossible and record a good mastered perfect track the first try and everything to go smoothly. Instead I get a crap track and see it as a waste of an afternoon instead of a learning experience that could lead to better tracks.
Old 2013-03-23, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasuperstar88 View Post
Where I don't get much time to go in the studio I want to do the impossible and record a good mastered perfect track the first try and everything to go smoothly. Instead I get a crap track and see it as a waste of an afternoon instead of a learning experience that could lead to better tracks.
TOTALLY get what you mean here. I have the same problem, I feel like I wasted my effort if I just create some noodling idea that doesn't amount to anything. But then, how much effort was wasted if I don't do anything at all?? If you think of it as "making room" for the good stuff, then it's never wasted effort. It's like you need to clean out the garage to get to something really awesome that you know is buried in the back. But you don't want to "waste time" going through all the stuff in the front, you just want the thing in the back! But it's not wasted time, it's part of the process. "Just do it."

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-23, 20:50

Thanks a lot to the posters of this thread!

Ninja, I recognize the problem SO WELL and it feels so good that someone else writes about it! And vanKloot - thanks for valuable comfort and advice!
Old 2013-03-23, 21:08

Yes, thanks for the replies and support. Sometimes when you are surrounded by other musicians and writers that are on a roll with their music, it feels like you are the only one who can't get anything done or accomplished.
Old 2013-03-23, 23:22

Try having a look for some online remix competitions (Indaba is quite good). I find that getting the stems from a finished song and re-working them can inspire. It's also great to listen to what others are doing with the same content and there is usually a deadline for entries which will force you to spend some quality time on your piece, the more time you invest in it the more it will spur you on. Give it a go.