Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-23, 16:32

Inspiration help

Hello everyone,

What do you do to get inspiration for making / writing music? Do you ever go through long periods of time without doing anything musically or is that normal? How do you get back into it?

I am fortunate enough to have a good career and can afford my own home recording studio, I use reason and logic, UA preamps, MOTU interface. I have multiple guitars and basses, drums and keyboards. I am not a very good musician but I like to dabble and can play a bit of everything. So you would think that I would be a recording master by now, that I would have loads of songs that I could share on the PH forums but no.

Over the past year I have spent very little time in my studio. With my job and other obligations I cant seem to find the time, motivation or inspiration to get at it. If I spend an afternoon in the studio, I feel like I wasted time when I could have been tending to work that needs to be done around the house. With all the new gear and all the features of the software it gets a little overwhelming. It's to the point now where I am thinking about throwing in the towel on it and selling most of my gear. I don't want to because so much is invested but it seems like a waste to have if I'm not using it and it would free up a lot of space around the house. Recording has started to become that hobby you love but can't ever get around to doing anything with it.

My apologies for venting but any suggestions, inspiration / motivation techniques, processes would be appreciated.

Thanks