Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-23, 23:38

MIDI out is a completely different (and much easier) issue to tackle. the routing capabilities of Reason preclude it from being able to accomodate VSTs without having to rework the entire system. if they did? well then you'd have VSTs in Reason, but it would have to function basically like any other existing DAW. the Reason workflow and routing are what sets it apart. neutering that for the sake of the few people who want to be able to do the same thing in Reason they do in another DAW they already have doesn't make any sense.

and besides that, there's the fact that most Reason users DO NOT want Reason to implement VST support. on the other hand, most Reason users DID want MIDI out.
Old 2013-03-24, 00:01

I belive the people want vst's, if any thing they are worrying about stability and that is understood. Like RE's they stated in the video if it crashes only the plugin will shut down and not the whole program. That's why I said Reason should make a simplifed host program like chainer,(using rewire protocol) so if it were to crash Reason would not shut down.

.The point is that there are so many great vst's, we do not need them to have special functions; That will be the purpose of RE's.

.All we want is to be able to use vst's inside of reason. We want to use vst's without having to use rewire, I want to have the option of sequencing vst's in reason and using the regroove mixer over my complete project.

.If you use regroove or rewire with another daw you should understand (alot of reason users use rewire) and that is partly for vst's

.No one has done an offical poll so I disagree

Last edited by shawnowen; 2013-03-24 at 00:05.
Old 2013-03-24, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceToad View Post
Why are there people that think rack extensions make VSTs redundant?
Because within Reason it is redundant as they both provide the same function. For instance the Saturation knob RE does the same thing as the Saturation knob plugin. Would Softube really develop both if the vst/au version was already compatible? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnowen View Post
But on that note do you really think every previous vst is going to convert to RE, unlikely. Thats why PH should support vst's aleast in a host program like chainer.

It would be more beneficial only if all the vst's making RE versions would still have the original formats that work with other daws's & the RE format when purchashed. If not we will be spending a whole lot on duplicate plugins.
I won't argue with your points here as I agree about buying duplicate plugins. I believe there should be some alternative discount or something, but to say that the development of REs wouldn't suffer if vst support was added is impossible. The only REs we would still get are the ones by the smaller developers. While not all plugins will get ported to RE format, there would be no real benefit to developers to port any current plugins to RE format if their current versions are already compatible. I'm sure if Pro Tools accepted vst/au most developers wouldn't bother creating rtas versions or bother supporting the use of wrappers.

Edit: Pro Tools uses aax now

Website
Old 2013-03-24, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
VST in Reason would be ..... Crap! It just wouldn't work. It will be a cold day in hell before we get that in Reason ...... hang on a minute?!

Hahahahaha...

Oh boy...here we go again! LOL
“Come now, and let us REASON together” Isaiah 1:18

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-24, 14:15

Omg i am in your shoes i feel your pain i use reason 6.5 and cubase 6.5 but when you stack too many tracks get ready for the crashes rewire does suck
Old 2013-03-24, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnowen View Post
It would make no sense to have duplicates of plugins that would only work in reason, rack extension is brilliant for reason. Reason should just make a seperate-optional host program (to Purchase) that allows vstfx's to be bussed to audio channels and vsti's to be used via the new midi out feature.
I totally agree
Old 2013-03-24, 21:01

I shouldn't even read this crap, but I truly can't figure out why people don't want options. "I don't want to choose my career, I want to be limited to working at Mcdonalds!" "Why would anybody want a college education, I learned enough by 5th grade?" etc.

I guess it is easier to be "against" VSTs when you are like most of the people against them and have only been investing in music software the past 2 or 3 years. I have to admit that I argued against having them in Reason in the first few years, but the VSTs that were available back then didn't have anywhere near the capabilities or stability of what is available today.

REs are useless to us that aren't 100% Reason as you can't use them on anything else and you can't sell your license. At least with the VST you have options. I won't buy an RE unless it is a VST wrapper.
Old 2013-03-24, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazon View Post
I shouldn't even read this crap, but I truly can't figure out why people don't want options. "I don't want to choose my career, I want to be limited to working at Mcdonalds!" "Why would anybody want a college education, I learned enough by 5th grade?" etc.

I guess it is easier to be "against" VSTs when you are like most of the people against them and have only been investing in music software the past 2 or 3 years. I have to admit that I argued against having them in Reason in the first few years, but the VSTs that were available back then didn't have anywhere near the capabilities or stability of what is available today.

REs are useless to us that aren't 100% Reason as you can't use them on anything else and you can't sell your license. At least with the VST you have options. I won't buy an RE unless it is a VST wrapper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exowildebeest View Post
The point is not that VST's are shit or that VST support would be shit, the choice of using them would obviously be the user's.

The point is that after the introduction of RE's is, knowing the direction that Propellerheads has taken, the request for VST support is sublimely stupid, unimaginably unrealistic and awfully annoying.

At this point in time, it is exactly as futile as asking the Coca Cola company to make Pepsi. That's what it has come to, and what makes me cringe as if my ballsack was dangling above a meatgrinder.
My face is forming a symbiotic relationship with my palm.

I do agree that I shouldn't even read this crap as well.
Old 2013-03-24, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazon View Post

REs are useless to us that aren't 100% Reason as you can't use them on anything else
Rewire. So no they are not useless.

People need to stop this nonsense.
Old 2013-03-25, 01:16

Reason needs to be either a rewire master or support vst's. Rewire is great, but for the people who use Reason as their main instrument we want to be able to sequence everthing in it. It seems Ph really dont want to adpot vsts, so the best thing to do is become a rewire master