Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-25, 18:55

Lightbulb Backwards Compatibility

I have a friend who uses Reason 5. I myself have Reason 6. We need to collaborate on a music file. So far the only way I know how to do this is to install multiple versions of Reason. The process to achieve Reason polygamy is as follows:

1. Uninstall all versions of Reason.
2. Install Reason 4 then move it out of "C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\" to another location.
3. Install Reason 5 then move it out of "C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\" to another location.
4. Install Reason 6.
5. Rename the Reason 4 folder to "Reason 4" and rename the Reason 5 folder to "Reason 5" .
6. Move the "Reason 4" and "Reason 5" folders back into C":\Program Files\Propellerhead\".
7. Make the appropriate Desktop and/or Start Menu shortcuts.

This is all fine and dandy, but of course since it's not a Propellerhead-sanctioned process it's not without its problems. There are registry conflicts (I'm on Windows 7) that force me to enter the serial number for each version of Reason every time I use a different version than last time, which of course is both tiring and time-consuming.

I propose that Propellerhead create a process by which one can comfortably install multiple versions of Reason and use them interchangeably, perhaps even simultaneously.

Alternatively, each version of Reason could be able to run in a "Compatibility Mode" which allows it to run as though it were an earlier version. It would block access to all new Reason features. On top of that there could be a Wizard that tells you which elements to delete from a .reason file to be able to convert it to a .rns file and work on it in Compatibility Mode.

I'm not sure what the community need for backwards compatibility is, but it would help this producer out very much. Please reply if you have interest in such a feature so that I and Propellerhead may know if it is indeed a development that might eventually be pursued.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extracy View Post
I have a friend who uses Reason 5. I myself have Reason 6. We need to collaborate on a music file. So far the only way I know how to do this is to install multiple versions of Reason. The process to achieve Reason polygamy is as follows:

1. Uninstall all versions of Reason.
2. Install Reason 4 then move it out of "C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\" to another location.
3. Install Reason 5 then move it out of "C:\Program Files\Propellerhead\" to another location.
4. Install Reason 6.
5. Rename the Reason 4 folder to "Reason 4" and rename the Reason 5 folder to "Reason 5" .
6. Move the "Reason 4" and "Reason 5" folders back into C":\Program Files\Propellerhead\".
7. Make the appropriate Desktop and/or Start Menu shortcuts.
Just one question, if your collab uses R5, why do you also install R4?
Old 2013-03-25, 19:08

You need only backup and change Reason Preferences.prf file for switch between R>=6 and R<6 versions.
There:
c:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason\
And R5 folder must contain FSB and OSB.
Enjoy
Old 2013-03-25, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
Just one question, if your collab uses R5, why do you also install R4?
Another guy uses Reason 4. Also just to show that the process can be used for any number of versions.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljekio View Post
You need only backup and change Reason Preferences.prf file for switch between R>=6 and R<6 versions.
There:
c:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason\
And R5 folder must contain FSB and OSB.
Enjoy
Will moving the .prf file prevent the program from asking me for my serial number again? If so, that's great! I'll inspect the file and try this out as soon as I get home. Thanks.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extracy View Post
Will moving the .prf file prevent the program from asking me for my serial number again? If so, that's great! I'll inspect the file and try this out as soon as I get home. Thanks.
I dunno about swich between R4 and R5, but you can switch between R5 and R6.5 without asking serial.
Old 2013-03-26, 12:08

or all just update to R7