Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-03-28, 11:25

How many EQs can I use to do Surgical EQ?

Hi all!

I have this drumloop that i am trying to get as clean as possible.
First I put a M-Class EQ to it, next a M-Class EQ.

How many EQs can I use to do Surgical EQ, and get rid of all the frequencies that "hurt"???
Is there a rule to it?

Thanks!
Chris

Old 2013-03-28, 13:36

As many as you see fit
Old 2013-03-28, 13:48

Yeah, as in Reason you don't have real cables and transformers diminishing the sound quality in every device you can really put them in endlessly. They will only shift the phase where they work a little, like all EQs. But they do virtually nothing to other parts.
Old 2013-03-28, 16:25

I don't know how many YOU can use, but I can use seven: ;-)

Taken from the Selig B3-Leslie, specifically the Treble Rotor speaker/cabinet emulation section, FWIW. :-)
USA
Old 2013-03-28, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post

Taken from the Selig B3-Leslie, specifically the Treble Rotor speaker/cabinet emulation section, FWIW. :-)
I've looked at that a dozen times or so and gone "he must have a reason for this...I'll leave it alone". I've mentioned this before, but that combi is freaking awesome.

Does anyone know if the MClass EQ is phase linear? I know the crossover section of the Stereo Imager is.
Old 2013-03-28, 20:29

Good to see I'm not the only stacking lots of MClass EQs on each other. I wish it had more bands, so we could save rack space.
Old 2013-03-28, 20:40

Be nice to have an option on the SSL to have 2, 4, 6 or 8 mid bands of fully parametric eq
Old 2013-03-28, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 View Post
I've looked at that a dozen times or so and gone "he must have a reason for this...I'll leave it alone". I've mentioned this before, but that combi is freaking awesome.

Does anyone know if the MClass EQ is phase linear? I know the crossover section of the Stereo Imager is.
I'm not sure the Stereo Imager uses linear phase filters for it's crossovers - are you reading this somewhere?

The reason for all the EQs is that I'm matching the frequency response of the Treble Rotor of a Leslie rotating speaker cabinet. There are so many different cancellations/reflections inside that box! That's simply how many EQs it took to reproduce the frequency response of the original. I should note that without the EQs, the Leslie effect is quite tame and more like a stereo chorus IMO - I even have a preset saved that way for just such comparisons! ;-)
USA
Old 2013-03-28, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
Be nice to have an option on the SSL to have 2, 4, 6 or 8 mid bands of fully parametric eq
But without changing the Q significantly it wouldn't help much - and once you go a make all of those changes you're deviating so much from the original design as to probably be better to just create a new EQ IMO. BTW, other than for modeling Leslie Speakers, I probably wouldn't have much use for such an EQ, though I'm sure there are others who would. ;-)
USA
Old 2013-03-28, 21:49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post

Is it comparable with the Ableton EQ Eight?