Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-30, 20:11

Progressive House

Hello everybody. Here is my my latest production. Feedback is appreciated.

Loading SoundCloud…

https://soundcloud.com/peter-lansford/gael
Old 2013-03-30, 21:40

The kick is completely burried under the heavy bass-synth/growl. It's supressing most other sounds aswell.
The percussion and hats lack quite a bit of definition, dynamics and groove, pretty important points for a housy track in general.

The intro synthline (and at 2:53) sounds really nice, round, but just a bit too cold still. Maybe add an additional layer to beef it up slightly, or a pad.

With a bit more mixing, dynamic contro and overall juice, this track would sit pretty nicely in a set.
Old 2013-03-30, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubeck View Post
The kick is completely burried under the heavy bass-synth/growl. It's supressing most other sounds aswell.
The percussion and hats lack quite a bit of definition, dynamics and groove, pretty important points for a housy track in general.

The intro synthline (and at 2:53) sounds really nice, round, but just a bit too cold still. Maybe add an additional layer to beef it up slightly, or a pad.

With a bit more mixing, dynamic contro and overall juice, this track would sit pretty nicely in a set.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't a big fan of the growly hooky bass synth but I decided that was the element to pull from the original. As for the kick, I don't hear what you mean by it being buried in the track. Maybe that's personal preference but either way I was going for a deep low frequency kick. Of course, I finished it and uploaded in the same morning so maybe I'll listen again in a few days. Thanks again.
Old 2013-03-31, 00:34

the kick doesn't really sound buried or 'completely buried'

if anything, sidechain it a bit more or a bit more compression.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-31, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoimagery View Post
the kick doesn't really sound buried or 'completely buried'

if anything, sidechain it a bit more or a bit more compression.
Thanks for the input!
Old 2013-03-31, 01:16

I agree a little more compression on the kick .... It could possibly be EQ as well. Other then that i love track man. Great job
Old 2013-03-31, 01:24

I really like the breakdown that starts at 1:15, very nice sounding. I don't think the kick is completely buried under the bass but I would shelf off some lows of that bass and sidechain it more to make the rest of the stuff sit better.

This is not a bad track at all but I miss the energy specially in the buildups. The part that starts at 3:55 would really benefit from a punchy hard hitting snare to show that you mean business in the rise. I would also add some pumping rising pad with white noise to it. What I finally would do is to make a repetitive voice part with the "am I on fire" sample while everything else rises in the background. Here is a good example that shows what I mean with all this, listen from around 3:40 and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYn_WljR2ZU

One last thing. Play more with automating hipass and lowpass filters as well as other warp effect on the whole mix to make the track come alive more. It's an easy trick which I use a lot

Have fun!

Ultratreamer
http://soundcloud.com/ultrastreamer
Old 2013-03-31, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightecs View Post
I really like the breakdown that starts at 1:15, very nice sounding. I don't think the kick is completely buried under the bass but I would shelf off some lows of that bass and sidechain it more to make the rest of the stuff sit better.

This is not a bad track at all but I miss the energy specially in the buildups. The part that starts at 3:55 would really benefit from a punchy hard hitting snare to show that you mean business in the rise. I would also add some pumping rising pad with white noise to it. What I finally would do is to make a repetitive voice part with the "am I on fire" sample while everything else rises in the background. Here is a good example that shows what I mean with all this, listen from around 3:40 and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYn_WljR2ZU

One last thing. Play more with automating hipass and lowpass filters as well as other warp effect on the whole mix to make the track come alive more. It's an easy trick which I use a lot

Have fun!

Ultratreamer
http://soundcloud.com/ultrastreamer
Wow thanks for the tips! I don't usually do high energy tracks. I tend to lean towards a more laid back almost minimal(?) sound in my own productions so I'll take any pointers I can get in this part of the playing field!
Old 2013-03-31, 14:58

I listened too both Mixes , I enjoyed them both ' Surrender is a little EQ-depth Shy ! But i aint no expert how-ever on the other hand Dirty baby is a super well mixed track full of depth & warmth , which Surrender seems to be shy of Pete ! Played back on Behringer-Truth-Studio Monitors , plenty volume was used .... Jamie ....
Old 2013-03-31, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpPropellaed View Post
I listened too both Mixes , I enjoyed them both ' Surrender is a little EQ-depth Shy ! But i aint no expert how-ever on the other hand Dirty baby is a super well mixed track full of depth & warmth , which Surrender seems to be shy of Pete ! Played back on Behringer-Truth-Studio Monitors , plenty volume was used .... Jamie ....
Thanks for the comparison - that can help me improve my mixing! I did cut a lot of mids out of this track because I wanted something light airy (probably too much) while the other track has more of a deep house feel to it. I do everything on my laptop with a VRM box so it's good to read how it sounds to others.