Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-03-03, 23:30

Dance The Night Away

I put this as a followup to an old post but probably should've posted it separately.

Loading SoundCloud…

This track makes me happy every time I listen to it. Can't stop tapping my toes.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-04, 01:12

I could imagine this as the title of some childrens TV show It got this "naive" (not meant negative!) happyness going through the plain major color. But the mix is very narrow? When the moving synths start they leap way out of the initial stereo base which I find a bit confusing personally.
Old 2013-03-04, 03:22

I know what you mean about the "happiness" vibe and I agree with it. It's all sunshiney and summery and innocent somehow.

I'm not really sold on the mix because frankly that's an area I've never been really strong. I can twiddle knobs and such until I get something that I like the sound of, but I don't actually understand HY the twiddles I choose, work or don't work. It's funny, I took courses in audio engineering many many years ago (late 80s/early 90s) and while I have a lot of basic knowledge about sound, frequencies, how they interact, etc. somehow that's never translated itself into my productions. Then again I haven't done any music production in over 10 years so maybe I'm just reeeeeeally rusty.

Anyway, I'm very open to suggestions on things to do to clean up the mix. It doesn't quite sit in a way that I'm happy with but I couldn't quite articulate how.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-04, 03:27

What monitors are you using? It seems to me you deem some of the bass frequencies lower than they are, its a bit muddy in the still relatively high lows. I'd clean up what the bass drum does from above about 80Hz til 250ish to have more room for some of the instruments, then maybe add some heft a bit below that. Also a lot of them seem to linger in the lower mid / upper bass region a lot. Maybe thin out some instruments to make them stick out more in their appropriate frequency Range. Also as said you seem to have a lot of room left in the horizontal plane (panning, M/S processing). Apart from that and what I said already.. idk, its quite fine
Old 2013-03-04, 03:31

Great thanks for the specifics! My monitors are a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers and a separate sub, and then I have my headphones. Not exactly a "reference quality" setup! lol

I did do a bit of cutting in the lows already but maybe I didn't go far enough, or didn't quite go wide enough on the frequencies. I'll see what I can do to clean it up a bit. I need to listen to it in some different environments too, so far I haven't listened to it anywhere but here in my office.

Thanks again!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-04, 05:15

OK, here's a newly minted mix with some attempts at cleanup based on your suggestions and on a bit more "critical listening" by me in both headphones and speakers. I tried to cut out more of the lows & low-mids than I thought it sounded like it needed, since it's entirely possible that I *am* less aware of the low frequencies than I think. Maybe due to my setup, maybe due to me... either way, see if this one is an improvement?

Loading SoundCloud…

I added a number of panning effects using the LFO->Pan in the OctoRex and also some tweaking of stereo maximizers.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-04, 05:24

Hah, its like the song took a deep breath and now rocks the stage -- "Lets try that again boys" -- "Now *thats* it!"
Yeah, definitely much more defined but I guess with the focus on that now other things moved a bit in the mix. I suggest sleeping a night / getting some distance and then going over the thing again then you should be set E.g. some of the compressors (esp the main bus one) now seem to get hit pretty harshly.

Last edited by normen; 2013-03-04 at 05:27.
Old 2013-03-04, 05:28

I'll add that I don't think you are in danger of adding too much bass really, just that there seems to be a "monitoring hole" in the upper bass region somewhere or something to that extent. Also it seemed to me like you weren't hearing some covering, maybe due to your sub making everything "its resonance" and moving some of that missing frequency content deeper.

Edit: Gotta hop to bed myself now, its late (early?) here but if you want more feedback I'll happily answer tomorrow.
Old 2013-03-04, 05:58

This is awesome, constructive feedback and exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. Thanks so much!!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-31, 03:32

OMG! Parallel Processing, where have you been all my life?!?!!!!??

I just took another quick pass (well, quick being a few hours) at doing a "parallel mix" on a track I did a few weeks back, previous mix available here:

Loading SoundCloud…

And now here's the new "Parallel Mix":

Loading SoundCloud…

I don't entirely trust my room so I would appreciate any feedback on the mix.

Loading SoundCloud…