Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-02, 19:13

Question Reason 6.5->7.0, hexacore advantage?

Hi good folks,

I'm curious to know how many of you guys are boasting a hexacore cpu in your production setup. It seems like the are the way to go, along with SSD:s for good search response. I'm not very happy with my i7 quadcore mobile platform being old news a year after purchase, but I guess it's just the sign of the times. It's obvious that more computing power is now essential to utilize and customize the RE toys in the way they should. So, thinking of crossgrading over to a desktop again, as my i7 2600M(obile) chip isn't cutting the cookie anymore. Lot's of RE, routing and automation makes it choke and seriously man; I'm haunted by the "Computer Too Slow To Play Song" popup.

So hexacore then: does it work well for you? Does it function as you thought, in terms of cpu cycles being distributed equally across all 6 physical cores when taking a beating inside Reason? And most important of all: was the cpu worth the money (for Reason purposes)?

Share your thoughts, we all want to know.

/Dan
Old 2013-04-03, 04:39

Mobile cpu's are not equivalent to the desktop of the same numbering. The big thing with a laptop is to make sure its on full power and not throttling the cpu to save power. I have an i7 2600k desktop on an asus z77 board and i have to go full retard to get it to give me a computer too slow error.
Old 2013-04-03, 11:10

Same here i7 3770 + asus z77 mboard .... it's about 4x the power of my older q6600 desktop quadcore
Old 2013-04-03, 12:31

OK, I figure that's a quadcore setup then. Maybe I would be happy with a quadcore desktop (had a Core 2 Duo earlier) but I want to be future proof. More cores will be added over time, and I'm sure the Props are working hard to accomplish support for multiple cpu.

Still, has anyone any insights on how hexacore cpu:s work with Reason? Are all cores deployed or...?
Old 2013-04-03, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurling View Post
OK, I figure that's a quadcore setup then. Maybe I would be happy with a quadcore desktop (had a Core 2 Duo earlier) but I want to be future proof. More cores will be added over time, and I'm sure the Props are working hard to accomplish support for multiple cpu.

Still, has anyone any insights on how hexacore cpu:s work with Reason? Are all cores deployed or...?
You are staring yourself blind on the multicore issue, while other things are even more important, otherwise the quadcore i7 3770 wouldn't be 4x faster than the q6600 (core 2) quadcore. Both quadcore, but big difference in performance.

It's scores even higher on cpu benchmark performances than the fastest AMD octacore ! Only advantage is the much lower price.
see: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...t-Core&id=1780
Old 2013-04-06, 11:23

It's just not possible to tweak RE and have a lot of fun with Pulsar and CV modulators without a workhorse cpu. If that's an overclocking thing or if additional cores are the way to go, I don't know. But I sure need more juice than I currently have.

So, is octacore actually supported?
Old 2013-04-06, 12:05

See link for comparisons, I'd recommend sticking to Intel http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Old 2013-04-06, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ahg View Post
See link for comparisons, I'd recommend sticking to Intel http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
I have to agree with going Intel.

We recently had some new AMD A8s at work for testing purposes. Can't say I was particularly impressed.