Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-23, 04:53

Slow Sample Browser Loading Speeds!

I'll try to make this short and to the point...

We just upgraded to 6.5, run off of a Mac mini with 4 GB RAM, running on an 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is perfect. Only problem we're encountering is slow sample browser loads. It never happens to files created and saved on our HD (external). However, it occurs ONLY with files emailed/"Dropboxed" from another party, which are then saved and opened from our external HD.

In a nutshell, we would transfer (not copy) the file onto our external HD, open it up (opens fine), create an NN19 patch (or sampler patch, which also loads fine), but when we click on the WAV. file for Autoplay usage, it takes at least 5 mins for playback to occur. Which I'm sure you could imagine as frustrating.

Weird part about this is that this has never happened on any other occasion on any other version, than 6.5. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but could this be a bug? I wanted to experiment and downgrade back down to 6.0, but the current projects we are working on require 6.5 in order to co-work with our partners when other Reason files are emailed to us.

Looking forward to any helpful and mature responses. Thank you and God bless!!!!

Last edited by RawTalent; 2012-06-23 at 04:56.
Old 2013-01-10, 19:42

did you ever make progress on this issue? propellerheads have ignored my support request. i had to move my refills to my server as the library was too big for my laptop. browsing the directories is ridiculously slow, though windows explorer is lightning fast. i'm connected by ethernet. no other software has this issue.
Old 2013-03-17, 07:23

Same problem.. Any solution yet?
Old 2013-03-17, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
did you ever make progress on this issue? propellerheads have ignored my support request. i had to move my refills to my server as the library was too big for my laptop. browsing the directories is ridiculously slow, though windows explorer is lightning fast. i'm connected by ethernet. no other software has this issue.
I have run tests of loading samples to nn19 and nn-xt from a solid state HD and also browsed with only, at most, two seconds delay over a wireless link to a hub, thence via ethernet cable to a second computer. Tests loading a sample were successful. My main computer is Windows 7 with just Reason running, the second computer Windows XP - no tasks running.

Is this a MAC only problem?
Old 2013-04-03, 12:00

madness ...

the problem still exists!!
Old 2013-04-03, 14:25

This sounds like a bug.

However, as I cross posted in other threads, the whole browser thing is a little limited in design.

As a developer, I can tell you that if it takes that long in any recently-ish hardware (less than 5 years old), it's all about the software, not because the machine is "slow" or because you "need an SSD".

If Reason needs to read a lot of metadata from each sample/preset file, then the Props should cache those (they almost never change anyway), and add indexes for quicker search / retrieval. It's not rocket science.

Probably they just used the lazy way out, and used the basic OS file operations, scanning each file individually, etc, but that, while it could have been "good enough" back in the day, it's not really good today where we have with tons of presets and samples.

I'm sure they know it, and will overhaul the browser at some point (7.5? 8?).

Another lazy cop-out pain point is the bitmap, non resizable, UI. Good enough when we had 72 dpi monitors back in 2001, not good anymore in the hi-dpi era -- it makes everything tiny. With a Retina it should even be totally unusable.
Old 2013-04-11, 21:08

hey,
have a look to another post:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...98#post1286298