Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-04, 04:47

How to Set Up Scenes for Live Performance?

I'm using a MalletKat to control Reason.

What is the best was to set up live scenes in Reason?

I'd like to move from Song A to Song B by using the Malletkat's Up/Down Patch buttons.

1) Is this possible?
2) What are best practices?

Thanks,
jdhtwo
Old 2013-04-04, 16:51

2 things.

1. There are a ton of reaaaaaaly good threads on this subject.
2. Admittedly, it's actually been awhile since I saw a thread on it. (Do a search and you'll find them).

The approach is this. You're going to use Additional Remote Overrides and assign a key for 'Select Prev / Next Patch for Target Device.'

Then you have all your patches as combinator patches in one folder and name them with numbers to get them lined up in the folder.

eg 00 patch for song, 01 patch, 02 patch, etc.

Your default performance file loads 00 Song One Patch as a Combi and you have that device targeted in the sequencer. Then when you hit your key it goes to the Next.
Old 2013-04-04, 19:48

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...highlight=Live
Old 2013-04-04, 20:17

StormCanada -
Thanks - very helpful. I am familiar with remote overrides but your suggestion was not one I had thought of. I am definitely starting to wrap my mind around multiple Combinator patches within one .rns file.

Can you suggest any threads that you're thinking of? I have been searching for threads in vain.

dioxide -
Thanks for this link. Very helpful. I am not familiar with Remote, but I understand the basic premises about the Combinator not controlling specific instrument parameters. I suppose I'll have to see what problems I run into as I start to explore.
Old 2013-04-04, 21:04

You'd have to search. I don't keep a library of threads bookmarked or in my head. I only remember essences of what we talk about on the forum. Oh, and call me storm.

Clarification: You only need ONE combinator in your .rns file. ** ONLY ONE. ** But if you save each song as a combinator patch, then Reason will load that INTO your combinator without having to change the target in the sequencer. Or you lock you device to that combinator. Save the patches as combi patches though for ease of use knowing they'll load properly with all the right effects for that patch.
Old 2013-04-05, 05:42

Thanks very much.

Is there a way to change from Song 1 to Song 2 and change both the devices and the tempo?

When I switch from Combi patch 1 to Combi patch 2, I'd rather not manually change the tempo - I'd rather it change with my patch.