Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-04, 06:27

Really good stuff, Zac. My favorite of all the guitar tones was the first... it sounded clangy like the guitars in a New Order song.

Also liked how the song sounded and how you mixed everything up. I'm with everyone else who says "Bring on the vocals!"

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-04-04, 12:08

Great job Zac. Nicely done. Can't believe this is your fist guitar piece! too good!
Old 2013-04-04, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
Really good stuff, Zac. My favorite of all the guitar tones was the first... it sounded clangy like the guitars in a New Order song.

Also liked how the song sounded and how you mixed everything up. I'm with everyone else who says "Bring on the vocals!"
Thanks Carl, I really appreciate it. I love New Order's guitar tones - especially on 'Crystal' - so that's a lovely compliment thanks. I did my best with the mix, a new experience with guitar based sounds and although I can hear lots of room for improvement now I'll try and pick up on those areas in my next one. I did find Synapse's VE-3 Vintage EQ very well suited for the guitars, it's subtle but I like it.

I'd love to find someone to sing on it but it's probably going to have to wait a while, along with the rest of my music stuff, as I've just found out tonight that I've got a new job so I will be busy moving etc. It's a BIG relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
Great job Zac. Nicely done. Can't believe this is your fist guitar piece! too good!
Thanks Raymond, I've been jamming it to myself for years so it's great to finally hear it recorded. I look forward to your next synth masterpiece, you guys really have some chemistry going now.
Synth Rock
Old 2013-04-05, 00:00

Wow, I listened to the full song now and its really great. Honestly I have to say I found the clean guitar so terrible I stopped the song when I listened for the first time though

Idk, its too bridge pickup-ish for me, no bottom, only nasty direct vibrations and the intonation issues are very prominent in those parts. If it was an acoustic guitar or at least something more "round and full" from the neck pickup I guess I would have listened on. Or completely take out the lows and low mids and just keep some "sparkle". But I guess its preference, some like the "careless" sound I guess as @carlgrace proves.. I just think it doesn't fit to the rest of the song, New Order and Iron Maiden? Diametral I'd say and I don't really see a sensible bridge

But as said, really nice song, the mix needs some work though, its a bit indecisive at times though the music pretty much states what should get the focus. For the distorted guitars I'd say - less distortion and more guitars
Old 2013-04-05, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by normen View Post
Wow, I listened to the full song now and its really great. Honestly I have to say I found the clean guitar so terrible I stopped the song when I listened for the first time though

Idk, its too bridge pickup-ish for me, no bottom, only nasty direct vibrations and the intonation issues are very prominent in those parts. If it was an acoustic guitar or at least something more "round and full" from the neck pickup I guess I would have listened on. Or completely take out the lows and low mids and just keep some "sparkle". But I guess its preference, some like the "careless" sound I guess as @carlgrace proves.. I just think it doesn't fit to the rest of the song, New Order and Iron Maiden? Diametral I'd say and I don't really see a sensible bridge

But as said, really nice song, the mix needs some work though, its a bit indecisive at times though the music pretty much states what should get the focus. For the distorted guitars I'd say - less distortion and more guitars
Now this is interesting :-) I really am a pretty basic guitarist, I'd struggle to play live, so although I have some idea about intonation (it's about the length between nut and bridge, right?) I have no idea about how to set my guitar up correctly. I think careless is a good way of describing it and my attitude to these things.

But it's THESE sort of comments that can make me care and try and sort it out and get better. So thanks Normen, I really mean it, and please if you hear 'bad' things (anything) in any of my songs, please point them out to me You won't hurt my feelings and I really want to improve! I think I went overboard with the treble on the VE-3 on the clean guitar parts and hear what you're saying about using the neck pick-up but I tried it and decided against it - mainly because like you say, the song is a bit of a mishmash of styles and I wanted a harsher trebley sound to help lead into the distorted parts.

The diammetrically opposed sounds/styles comment I can see what you're saying but I disagree with it (or would do if I had managed to achieve how I'd really like the song to sound), it's what I like most about the song. I like the early Nirvana style of messy juxtapositions and although this is nothing like that style really (maybe a tiny bit 'About a Girl' ish???) and I think I'm a long way from achieving the style I'd like it to be I do like the early 90s (I hate to use the G word) Nirvana/Mudhoney/Sonic Youth/Smashing Pumpkins/Soundgarden/Brad/Pearl Jam etc kind of sound and the often 'feel' over 'tightness' - even though I'm sure for them any rawness or lack of tightness was a well thought out and 'played for' style rather than my carelessness.

I hope I'm not sounding defensive here because I don't feel it. I really welcome your comments. The mix is indecisive because I really don't know what I'm doing really. I have been feeling my way through my productions and have improved but especially as this was a new style for me, I think I need to do some more reading or watch tutorials etc. The powerchord sound for instance is totally distortion over any sense of the guitar itself and although I like the 'power' of the distortion and how hard it's pushed I would like to find out how to bring through some of the plectrum strokes and the playing of the chords sounds.

Anyway I hope you and anyone else who can help me will continue to give me honest feedback and won't be put off by my ESSAY of a reply! It just feels good actually to have someone who really heard my song. In no way am I saying I don't appreciate everyone else's comments, I really do! It's just that yours, Normen, has helped me think about the song a lot more. Come to think of it, the bass and the drums really aren't in the style that I'm trying to achieve if I'm really honest with myself. I think I need to try and start aiming higher and work harder rather than just being happy to get a song out that sounds ok. In my head the song can really be a lot better.

Food for thought :-)
Synth Rock
Old 2013-04-05, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincture View Post
Now this is interesting :-) I really am a pretty basic guitarist, I'd struggle to play live, so although I have some idea about intonation (it's about the length between nut and bridge, right?) I have no idea about how to set my guitar up correctly. I think careless is a good way of describing it and my attitude to these things.

But it's THESE sort of comments that can make me care and try and sort it out and get better. So thanks Normen, I really mean it, and please if you hear 'bad' things (anything) in any of my songs, please point them out to me :-) You won't hurt my feelings and I really want to improve! I think I went overboard with the treble on the VE-3 on the clean guitar parts and hear what you're saying about using the neck pick-up but I tried it and decided against it - mainly because like you say, the song is a bit of a mishmash of styles and I wanted a harsher trebley sound to help lead into the distorted parts.
Cool :-) The guitar obviously is a matter of taste but I think you could try and get some sparkle back in with effects/EQing and still try and use the "warmer" and more balanced sound of the other pickups (maybe not even the neck pickup but something in between).

Intonation is generally the "accuracy" of the intervals/notes. So this is for one the thing you say, yes. You can check if a flageolet in the 12th fret sounds like the same note as the held 12th fret. If not, adjust the bridge nut: if its too high, make the distance between frets and nut longer and retune. Rinse and repeat ;-)

But intonation also comes from other things like how you tune your guitar. For example, always tune strings from below the note to the note and not downwards, else you get out of tune immediately when you do a bend. Also, obviously how well you place your fingers on the board plays a *massive* role in your sound and intonation. For the sound its more in the fingers than anywhere else, honestly. The amps and FX just add texture.

Quote:
The diammetrically opposed sounds/styles comment I can see what you're saying but I disagree with it (or would do if I had managed to achieve how I'd really like the song to sound), it's what I like most about the song. I like the early Nirvana style of messy juxtapositions and although this is nothing like that style really (maybe a tiny bit 'About a Girl' ish???) and I think I'm a long way from achieving the style I'd like it to be I do like the early 90s (I hate to use the G word) Nirvana/Mudhoney/Sonic Youth/Smashing Pumpkins/Soundgarden/Brad/Pearl Jam etc kind of sound and the often 'feel' over 'tightness' - even though I'm sure for them any rawness or lack of tightness was a well thought out and 'played for' style rather than my carelessness.

I hope I'm not sounding defensive here because I don't feel it. I really welcome your comments. The mix is indecisive because I really don't know what I'm doing really. I have been feeling my way through my productions and have improved but especially as this was a new style for me, I think I need to do some more reading or watch tutorials etc. The powerchord sound for instance is totally distortion over any sense of the guitar itself and although I like the 'power' of the distortion and how hard it's pushed I would like to find out how to bring through some of the plectrum strokes and the playing of the chords sounds.
Thats cool. Then I think the difference between you and these examples is that they have a consistent sound "package" through "proper" mixing.. So if you tame your transients and crest factor a bit and open some sensible rooms in the mix through (careful, no need to destroy the cool "punkish" vibe) reverb I think I could live with it too ;-) ;-)

I'd also still look into refining some things in the arrangement still and not getting stuck at over-listening through mixing. Like if you record some overdub guitars to maybe try a bit less distortion then why not get one or two different rhythmic figures in still. I think the song already is alive enough to get you to play a bit more with it. :-)

Quote:
Anyway I hope you and anyone else who can help me will continue to give me honest feedback and won't be put off by my ESSAY of a reply! It just feels good actually to have someone who really heard my song. In no way am I saying I don't appreciate everyone else's comments, I really do! It's just that yours, Normen, has helped me think about the song a lot more. Come to think of it, the bass and the drums really aren't in the style that I'm trying to achieve if I'm really honest with myself. I think I need to try and start aiming higher and work harder rather than just being happy to get a song out that sounds ok. In my head the song can really be a lot better.

Food for thought :-)
The drums sound so trashy I didn't even listen to them in detail but rather took them as a style element Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it a lot, I usually only answer to music threads when I can connect to the music somehow and think I have something halfway substantial or helpful to say. Cheers for not reading something else into it :-)
Old 2013-04-05, 09:57

Definitely some good ideas there. I'm going to have very little time for music over the next few months as I'm starting a new job on Monday but I think I'll use this weekend to try out some changes. I was going to try and lay down a new metal song I've come up with but maybe that should wait, til I've learned more from this one.
Synth Rock