Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-13, 02:02

OT: How can the OP-1 cost so much?

I was looking at this device. Looks neat. But for $849, you'd think it would have MUCH MUCH more. It doesn't even have MIDI In (5 pin). It's got a tiny, chiclet keyboard and usb. Which means, if you want to use a controller that has more/larger keys, you need to be tethered to your computer.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the value? Am I missing something?
Old 2013-04-13, 03:39

for that much i'd expect impeccable craftsmanship and build quality, extreme attention to detail in both the software and the physical interface, and i suppose there's a bit of Pretensious Snob Tax built into the price too. but it seems to not only be a controller but a virtual 4-track, mass storage device, and powerful polyphonic synthesizer with different synthesis techniques.

so yeah $850 seems about right. if i had the money to throw at them i'd have one. it's supposed to be a self contained music production toy.
Old 2013-04-13, 06:35

The Swedish coolness is partly what you pay for. Just look at Elektron which are also quite overpriced compared to similar products from bigger manufacturers. I bet the products are top quality though and OP-1 definitely sounds unique.
Old 2013-04-13, 09:02

It's a unique device built to an extremely high standard. The pots for example are aviation grade meaning they'll basically last for ever! But apart from that I hear what you're saying. I really like the look of the device but I think it's more about being a boutique, coffee table type piece of equipment as much as it is a serious studio tool. It's nothing you couldn't do in a $10 iOS App.

I actually wrote to Teenage Design asking if they had any plans to make an iOS App of OP-1. They wrote back & said no. But late last year an App called 'Samplr' appeared for iPad, which looks very much like & has some of the features of OP-1. Nothing to do with Teenage Engineering as far as I know but you can clearly see where the inspiration came from. Very cool App as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeIxCeJPEkw

Old 2013-04-13, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiftof View Post
The Swedish coolness is partly what you pay for. Just look at Elektron which are also quite overpriced compared to similar products from bigger manufacturers. I bet the products are top quality though and OP-1 definitely sounds unique.
The Swedish coolness = taxes and social fees, plus high living costs (i.e. to actually "live" in Sweden). That is a big part anyway.
Old 2013-04-13, 10:37

@eXode
Not entirely true. It's more to do with marked evaluation and image. Sweden audio tech has a reputation to maintain because of Clavia. They make premium "hand-crafted" products from smaller independent companies.

Trust me, Japan is not a cheap country to live in.
Old 2013-04-13, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiftof View Post
@eXode
Not entirely true. It's more to do with marked evaluation and image. Sweden audio tech has a reputation to maintain because of Clavia. They make premium "hand-crafted" products from smaller independent companies.

Trust me, Japan is not a cheap country to live in.
But you still can't compare a multi million company like KORG, Roland or Yamaha to a small Swedish company with a handful of people working there.

Living aside, what about company tax in Japan? In Sweden if you have setup your own company you have to pay 44% in tax and other social fees, regardless of if you're only making 100$ a month from it. Then you have actual costs for parts and assembly and then you have to pay salaries on top of that. etc.

It's not by coincidence that many of the major "Swedish" manufacturers no longer have their main base of operations in Sweden, imho.
Old 2013-04-13, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
...But late last year an App called 'Samplr' appeared for iPad, which looks very much like & has some of the features of OP-1. Nothing to do with Teenage Engineering as far as I know but you can clearly see where the inspiration came from. Very cool App as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeIxCeJPEkw
Ok that's damned cool - and I'm i-padless :P
Old 2013-04-13, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
44% in tax and other social fees, regardless of if you're only making 100$ a month from it. Then you have actual costs for parts and assembly and then you have to pay salaries on top of that. etc.
Yuck. More lucrative to not bother with it and be an employee.
Old 2013-04-13, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Yuck. More lucrative to not bother with it and be an employee.
I realized that I mixed it together, you deduct costs first, but still about 44% tax + social fees.