Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-21, 01:30

Any way to recover work that has been saved over?

I made a mistake and deleted all my drums in a track without knowing it, saved over the file and can't undo because I closed and reopened the file. Is there an old backup somewhere that I can recover my stuff or am I screwed?
Old 2013-04-21, 03:24

I think

Bit late now but if you are about to do major surgery on a piece it may be worth doing a Save As first. That or leave the instruments/tracks there and Mute them.

Only other thing I can think of is to (assuming Win 7) right-click on the file and see if there is anything in Previous versions.

Sorry for your loss. In my experience losses like this are invariably for the better as the machine is simply editing what has no future - the universe is taking it back so you can have another (and hopefully better) go.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2013-04-21, 04:32

If you saved over a file - it is gone.

going forward, I suggest before you open any file, you make a copy of it, so you have an immediate backup.

and/or, in a file, never delete. use 'mute' to silence the track. if you want to redo a track, copy-paste it, mute the original, and go to town on the copy.

never delete until you are totally done - then, copy the file, and then go back and delete all of the muted, now unused tracks.

when you get a clean/final file, save it, and use 'properties' to make the file read-only.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-04-21, 04:57

That's what I thought, had to try though! I have a new laptop that I'm not used to the track pad, I think I did it when I was focused on something else and noticed that something happened but I did a cntrl+z, but probably needed to do another undo.

Doing occasional save as's from now on!

Thanks for the pic it made me lol.
Old 2013-05-12, 08:52

You gotta rerecorf the drms the way which you first did them man..
Old 2013-05-12, 16:47

Does Reason save temporary files as you work? I know some programs do and then you just try to recover older revisions of temporary files.

If it does, you may want to look into that.