Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-04-22, 00:23

Cricket does a Beatles tune ~ Reggae version

Wanted to share this with everyone here as Im sure there's some people here who are big fans of The Beatles, and quite likely, know the original version far more intimately than I do. So hopefully, you'll get a kick out of this version.

This was done in Reason > all tracks then bounced to Reaper > Vocals and guitar and one organ tracked in Reaper > ALL stems bounced BACK to Reason > Vocal effects added via a vocoder Combi in Reason, and finally the HORNS were tracked in Reason and the final mix was done in Reason > Mastered in Adobe Audition CS6

Hope you guys like it = I WANT TO SHARE THIS SONG FILE WITH SOMEONE HERE WHO CAN HELP ME = Yes.....Cricket just said he wanted help. Id like to see what someone here could do with something like BUFFER to make this production even more MODERN.

Im away from home (out of town, big gig last night) but when I get back, Ill post the song file so you can DL it. Listen to this and if any ideas come to mind how to trick it out, I'd really relcome any suggestions, and furthermore, can free up the song file so you can just do it and get it back to me

Bless
Old 2013-04-22, 07:32

Great production! I'm luvn the actual mix here too.
Old 2013-04-22, 08:02

Sounds really good. A bit sceptical to a more modern version, including glitching and fx.. but I will give it a listen
Old 2013-04-22, 08:04

I like how the snap of the snare comes through. Good job on the rest of it as well. I always like to here new takes on Beatles songs.
Old 2013-04-22, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyman View Post
I like how the snap of the snare comes through. Good job on the rest of it as well. I always like to here new takes on Beatles songs.
*bows head

Dude....drastically honored youd take a second to even say anything!

And the same to the other peeps who left a response. I tried to denote, Im sure theres bigger fans of The Beatles here = so youre opinion REALLY matters to me. Cuz I know its a well loved song by Beatles fans.
Super glad you guys like it.

The glitching.....maaaaaaybe. Right? Like, if theres something someone here is hearing that could lift this production at all, Id love to hear it.

Im like....a reggae producer who is largely stuck in the 70's - luckily, my last few productions have been yielding a more modern and unique sond. Thankful for that.

And thanks again to you guys for listening and responding
Old 2013-04-22, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlansford View Post
Great production! I'm luvn the actual mix here too.
Im going to post a link to the sound file so anyone and everyone here can mess with the mix and whatnot if theyd like to. Id love to hear what anyone else could do with it, to be honest.

Its like a 1.5gig songfile. Theres something like 30 tracks in the whole production including use of a vocoder and other things.

I plan to share the songfile for anyone who is interested tho = Cheers!
Old 2013-04-22, 15:17

I don't really care much for The Beatles, but your track is pretty good.

I usually skip when I hear someone doing covers. I understand why people do them, but I would rather hear your original music dude.
Old 2013-04-22, 18:54

Greetings Iyah, I was pleasantly surprised to see someone else writing reggae with Reason! I write mostly electronic/digi reggae, using Reason also.

I have recently been working on a project involving reggae riddims with hip hop elements and some glitching. Its definitely a possible direction you could take, but it might be more difficult with your much more live band sound, as my stuff is electronic.

I don't know the original Beatles song you covered but I liked your reggae version. I am curious about a couple of things. How much of the song was real instruments and did you use synths/samples at all?

Also, a note on the mix. For my personal taste, your bass lacked definition. It sounds to me like there is a lot of sub bass in your mix, but the actual bass guitar sound is a bit muddied, and you don't hear the roundness of the bass as much as I would like. It feels like perhaps it could benefit from some eq, and the other tracks perhaps some high passing to remove sub. Otherwise, its very nicely done, good works
If you want to chat about reason and reggae drop me a line.
Blessed.
Old 2013-04-23, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dz View Post
Greetings Iyah, I was pleasantly surprised to see someone else writing reggae with Reason! I write mostly electronic/digi reggae, using Reason also.

I have recently been working on a project involving reggae riddims with hip hop elements and some glitching. Its definitely a possible direction you could take, but it might be more difficult with your much more live band sound, as my stuff is electronic.

I don't know the original Beatles song you covered but I liked your reggae version. I am curious about a couple of things. How much of the song was real instruments and did you use synths/samples at all?

Also, a note on the mix. For my personal taste, your bass lacked definition. It sounds to me like there is a lot of sub bass in your mix, but the actual bass guitar sound is a bit muddied, and you don't hear the roundness of the bass as much as I would like. It feels like perhaps it could benefit from some eq, and the other tracks perhaps some high passing to remove sub. Otherwise, its very nicely done, good works
If you want to chat about reason and reggae drop me a line.
Blessed.
There's a few big players inna Reggae arena who are programming with and using Reason. Two of which you can find on YouTube: Carribean Blend, and the incredible Reggaesta. Both use Reason for reggae to great effect and if you ever get a minute to search for em, its cool to see how they use the program too.

The bass does lack a bit of definition, I agree. I think I just used RnB Bass from the FSB and didnt ever give much love or attention to the bass. I should HP the crap out of the other tracks and will look into that for sure - great advice.

In the song, the drums are from Addictive Drums, programed in Reaper. All vocals and guitars were tracked in Reaper as well. I think theres an organ track or two I did with the VB3 VSTI in Reaper as well. It was given a final coat of lipstick in Audition CS6.

There's a piano from Reason, one of two synth sounds/tracks from Reason, the bass is from Reason, one of the organs is from Reason, theres a Kong doing the little zap drum sound = Im not using, besides the sounds from Addictive Drums, any super unique samples at all. (I wish I had a good timbale sample, as a matter of fact - sure i got one, just dont incorporate it as much as i should)

Thanks again. If you want ot hear more tracks of me using Reason for reggae, check out this page: http://www.reverbnation.com/rascricket/songs
Old 2013-04-24, 17:28

I tried to find Caribbean Blend on youtube but no luck, could you post me a link please? I actually have some of reggaesta's tunes, but I never realised he used reason. He's definitely putting it to good use, he has a lot of good stuff, but I would prefer more original stuff as opposed to the remixes he does, still good though.
Your sound is very real sounding considering what you used, well done. I had a listen to some of your other songs and the bass tone is much better on them, so I think you would have no problem fixing it up for this track.
If you don't mind, I would love to know what sort of swing/groove settings you use? Also, I heard some horns in some of your tracks. Are they samples? I really struggle to make horns sound good. Any tips?