Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-04-23, 22:08

Red face something to leave the all mix on the side and start a new one please !

Sometimes I do a mix and after some time I loose the mix and it dies in the loudness ,
I 'd love to be able to keep that mix so I can have a eye on what I have done but also a way to reset the all mix fx on every tracks so i can start a fresh one with out doing my head .

I dont know if it's very clear explained like this but I think it would be handy for workflow time saving !

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !

Last edited by charlycharlzz; 2013-04-23 at 22:09. Reason: to leave insted of to live :)
Old 2013-04-23, 22:54

yep. happens all the time.

i usually just save different versions. then, if they aren't too massive, you can just open both at the same time to reference em as well.
Old 2013-04-23, 23:45

Like a snapshot or version control? Makes sense and should be fairly easy to implement just on the mixer.

Reason 7 - Studio One Pro V2.5
Optiplex780 8G Win7 & Dell Latitude E6410 4G Win7 64 bit
Presonus AudioBox1818 - Focusrite VRM - Fender SuperChamp X2
MAudio Oxygen61 - Akai MPD26 - iPad2
Old 2013-04-23, 23:47

SSL patches. might get complicated if you have anything automated on the mixer. then the sequencer gets tied in and it turns into a potential mess.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetersus View Post
Like a snapshot or version control? Makes sense and should be fairly easy to implement just on the mixer.
But most of us probably 'mix' with the rack instruments - and what about FX?

I've outlined my idea of a cool way to implement 'versions' in Reason that deals with the large file size issue, collaborations (both directions), and can also create a breadcrumb trail via an auto backup feature. I SO want this feature on so many levels… :-)

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=140604
USA
Old 2013-04-24, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaamook View Post
yep. happens all the time.

i usually just save different versions. then, if they aren't too massive, you can just open both at the same time to reference em as well.
yep but sometimes I hit save without re-name because I always do a manual auto save now and then and a older version just vanished !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetersus View Post
yhea like a version control but maybe working like a snapshot to save the data of the mixer

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2013-04-24, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
But most of us probably 'mix' with the rack instruments - and what about FX?

I've outlined my idea of a cool way to implement 'versions' in Reason that deals with the large file size issue, collaborations (both directions), and can also create a breadcrumb trail via an auto backup feature. I SO want this feature on so many levels… :-)

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=140604

well your idear is way more cool because when I do a mix I often do like a dumb robot a save every now and then and when I forget to rename it I loose a older version that was saved with the same name !

my idear was more a simple reset of the all ssl but also that would save the version working on and that could be reloaded in the way that it would save the data of the SSL and just leave it a side for future re-examinations .

but your thread is way cool and I like that data import idear 2 , versions is way cool and that is what i kind of whant 4 shure ! and auto save is cool I also whant it but only if we can go back to before it auto saved because I may not whant that version and quit the project with out saving to start again where it was before I did a screw up or something .

thats plenty of stuff for version 8

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2013-04-24, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
yep but sometimes I hit save without re-name because I always do a manual auto save now and then and a older version just vanished !!!!
yeah, you gotta work on that.

@selig

it could be good, meaning versions. but if its not implemented properly it becomes a mess much like apple did with their stock apps like text edit and the dreaded 'autosave' feature. (i still don't use text edit even though they've improved it)
now there's no reason to assume props will do anything like that but i still get nervous.

i don't loose work often because i've trained myself to think in the background about what i'm doing. its mechanical. but if they start messing around with the key commands my mechanical training goes out the window.

basically, i'm against it unless it has a disable function i think. because if it isn't done well could be a disaster imo.
Old 2013-04-24, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
well your idear is way more cool because when I do a mix I often do like a dumb robot a save every now and then and when I forget to rename it I loose a older version that was saved with the same name !

my idear was more a simple reset of the all ssl but also that would save the version working on and that could be reloaded in the way that it would save the data of the SSL and just leave it a side for future re-examinations .

but your thread is way cool and I like that data import idear 2 , versions is way cool and that is what i kind of whant 4 shure ! and auto save is cool I also whant it but only if we can go back to before it auto saved because I may not whant that version and quit the project with out saving to start again where it was before I did a screw up or something .

thats plenty of stuff for version 8
I use the term "auto backup" since it's leaving a 'bread crumb trail' - this means it saves a COPY ever "X" minutes (user definable) up to a total of "X" copies (user definable). This feature is only possible with versions because a large song will QUICKLY eat of your hard drive if you save 10-20 versions of it! In this way you never loose anything - BUT if you don't manually save and then quit, you'll have the latest changes saved in your "backup" which protects you from forgetting to save.

The term "snapshot" is maybe a better way to describe what I'm suggesting, but IMO only if you save EVERYTHING as a snapshot. Saving just the SSL and not the FX or audio edits etc. limits your exploration IMO. Having to think "now did THAT change get saved or not?" won't help me very much. ;-)

And if you save the SSL and not the sequencer data, you miss ALL automation - how can you use just the SSL data and not the automation of the SSL?

My idea is just an expansion of yours if I understand you correctly, and includes everything you've mentioned plus a few additional features to make it useful to me (and hopefully others as well). :-)
USA
Old 2013-04-24, 19:56

I see , your idear is really complet compared to my suggestion and I did not see your thread before because I would have post there otherwise .

yep auto-save and versions are wicked features and very good to work without the stress of doing something dumb or a electrical brutale cutdown

I vote 4 your idear !

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_