Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-24, 16:07

Well actually, l have my heart set on Renoise as a supplement to my existing gear, it has a user-submitted repository of free tools made using the Lua language, l love some of the tools, but some are just weird. I don't mind.

I don't really want to get Fruity Loops although it has some cute looking features and infinite updates.

But that Synth Edit thing looks absolutely fantastic!
Old 2013-04-24, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDontPanic View Post
Well actually, l have my heart set on Renoise as a supplement to my existing gear, it has a user-submitted repository of free tools made using the Lua language, l love some of the tools, but some are just weird. I don't mind.

I don't really want to get Fruity Loops although it has some cute looking features and infinite updates.

But that Synth Edit thing looks absolutely fantastic!
Can't reall blame you there...I left FL for Reason long ago.
I think synth edit does have a full version (outside of FL..maybe standalone maybe just vst idk)
Old 2013-04-24, 16:15

Yeah there is a full version, £51 ... got to keep an eye on those £50 notes though, they disappear really fast when you're having fun.
Old 2013-04-24, 16:37

Wow, a thread full of venomous bullshit. Who would of thought it.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-04-24, 17:25

Quote:
Yes l clearly meant Melodyne hence reference to vocals.
Autotune is used on vocals as well and is the most widely known pitch correction plugin...actually pitch correction in general is used more on vocals than anything else, so the vocal reference wouldn't make anyone assume you meant otherwise. Melodyne is more known for the post editing you can do with recorded audio, which would also aid with your audio to midi request. But still neptune does what you were asking for.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about keyboard shortcuts Think live performance, a hurried situation, l cannot stress that enough and l did mention to think of live performance when evaluating some of my proposals, l don't wanna be mistakenly pressing this or that button, and that aside, yeah, l wasn't talking about keyboard shortcuts.
As I stated I know you weren't talking about keyboard shortcuts, and in a live performance, or hurried situation most people are not going to reach for a mouse to click on a menu item when it can be done by pressing two keys. That's why they're called shortcuts because it's faster. I perform live with Reason and trust me it's hard to press the wrong keyboard shortcut when you know what they are.

... Actually I prepare for all my live shows in advance so I never need to undo/redo anything in that situation.

Quote:
My magic wand is broken so getting a registered business isn't an option for me at the moment.
No magic wand required. From what I understand, Its actually pretty simple do in most countries.

Quote:
I wasn't comparing to Max4Live,
I used Max4Live as an example, because the functionality of Max4Live is pretty much exactly what you asked for when you said "... open Reason up to a well-known scripting language. I dunno anything about scripting apart from some languages can be used in audio to make add-ons..." I disagree that that would necessarily be an "improvement" to REs, but I wont argue against you wanting to be creative.

Quote:
OK so how do l make a song sequence generator based on grammar rules? How do l make a step sequencer which generates a melody randomly, based on a load of preset scales (one is selected) and the probability of each note firing? etc.

These things can all be done with the Lua scripting language, l've noticed. Which is also used on another DAW called Renoise (cheap, cheerful, tracker based). It would be nice to share the language with Renoise, for example. An alternative that is recognised by the masses is Pure Data. I have little knowledge of either of these languages but all l can say is they look cooooool. They will create a real buzz. You will see users working on their own weird and wonderful tools, etc. in such a way as was never seen before.
Well since you dont know scripting languages anyway why not learn some programing as well? Then make a RE. There are some REs in the shop that do things quite similar to (if not exactly) what you listed above so it's definitely possible. And if you can program a RE you can pretty much program a Vst since the code is not completely different. then you can use it in any program Lua supported or not.

Or, Renoise is rewire compatible since you're already thinking about getting it. then you could use your creations there to trigger Reason.

Still... I've seen some pretty amazing things done with a combinator and some extremely creative thinking.

Website

Last edited by QVprod; 2013-04-24 at 17:32.
Old 2013-04-24, 19:13

Ok thanks for your suggestions and good point about keyboard shortcuts being shortcuts.

I still think opening scripting to every Tom Dick and Harry as a way of hacking into Reason and making your own instruments will be a great idea. Sounds more appealing than RE, and also l'm not undermining REs in any case. I've seen a few good looking REs when l last searched, so it's all good, but l'm just saying, why not add that bit extra, i.e. opening up to a programming languaage for the man on the street.
Old 2013-04-25, 18:00

Quote:
Ok thanks for your suggestions and good point about keyboard shortcuts being shortcuts.

I still think opening scripting to every Tom Dick and Harry as a way of hacking into Reason and making your own instruments will be a great idea. Sounds more appealing than RE, and also l'm not undermining REs in any case. I've seen a few good looking REs when l last searched, so it's all good, but l'm just saying, why not add that bit extra, i.e. opening up to a programming languaage for the man on the street.
A large majority of Reason users don't even program a Combinator and I'd call them the "man on the street". This is the current way a few of us hack into reason and make our own instruments. For example I created a synth using the Pulveriser as VCO/VCF/VCA/LFO etc. But I'm one of a few users who understand even the basics or routing signals at that level in Reason

You are proposing an even more advanced system that would rival RE creation, but could never match what could be done by REs. So from an already small pool of folks that create Combinator ReFills/Instruments there will be a few that would create scripted devices. Many of the folks that would be interested in creating such devices already create REs IMO. That leaves a VERY precious few such as yourself that would actually use such a feature, again IMO.

Implementing your idea would require a new language (new to Reason) and much additional support - in other words, it would be expensive to implement and would only appeal to a very small subset of users. When you begin to think like a developer, you suddenly begin to dismiss many more ideas based on the reality of the market and your valuable time, which would be best spent on adding features that the MOST folks would use rather than the least.

That's my perspective anyway… :-)
USA
Old 2013-04-25, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
But I'm one of the elite Reason Gods
Fixed that for you.
Old 2013-04-25, 20:01

and in the end, how many people on MAX or Reaktor are doing anything other than loading other people's patches anyway. maybe a little tweak.

RE system is more closed obviously, but really, i reckon most of what the average user does in MAX can be made in Reason.

the only thing missing is the extremities. reason knobs don't go up high enough. that sort of thing.

like the sample start knob on the NN19... that one really irritates the hell outta me.
Old 2013-11-03, 11:16

Check out my poll and Vote regarding to VST support