Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-04-28, 14:50

Boost Button

You know how you can get foot stomps for guitars that boost the volume (and occasionally dirty the sound) for when the guitarist has a solo in a song. Well I was wondering if that could be applied to the combinator? Or alternatively is there a work around that I'm yet to discover. I do know how to use the programmer in the combinator but when you assign a button you have to put hard/literal values and I'm looking for something thats like a 20db boost or a 20% boost in volume.

Apologies if I'm unclear. let me know and I'll try to explain another way if that is so.

Ps I'm also aware if the dim feature on the rack main unit but when I tried to use it opposite to the way it was intended, the volume change(increase) was too drastic for my live playing.
Old 2013-04-28, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory05 View Post
You know how you can get foot stomps for guitars that boost the volume (and occasionally dirty the sound) for when the guitarist has a solo in a song. Well I was wondering if that could be applied to the combinator? Or alternatively is there a work around that I'm yet to discover. I do know how to use the programmer in the combinator but when you assign a button you have to put hard/literal values and I'm looking for something thats like a 20db boost or a 20% boost in volume.

Apologies if I'm unclear. let me know and I'll try to explain another way if that is so.

Ps I'm also aware if the dim feature on the rack main unit but when I tried to use it opposite to the way it was intended, the volume change(increase) was too drastic for my live playing.
Since the Dim function is 20 dB, and that didn't work for you I'd suggest not looking for a 20 dB boost. ;-)

OTOH, a "20%" boost wouldn't hardly do anything since a 100% boost (doubling of level) is only 6 dB (20% would be around 1 dB or so).

Try this:
I'd suggest skipping the whole "dB" thing for now and just put a line mixer in your combinator, assign a button to the master volume and have it go from "100" to "127" for your boost. Try it and see if it's closer to what you're wanting - I'm happy to provide other suggestions if this isn't close to what you're looking for. :-)
USA
Old 2013-04-29, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Since the Dim function is 20 dB, and that didn't work for you I'd suggest not looking for a 20 dB boost. ;-)

OTOH, a "20%" boost wouldn't hardly do anything since a 100% boost (doubling of level) is only 6 dB (20% would be around 1 dB or so).
Thx for your reply.

Just so you're aware those numbers (20db and 20%) are just numbers I plucked from .... ;-) The reason I am looking in this direction is because when I play live I may use a fader to get a level and the value may change for each song (due to whatever is going on onstage) so if I got a button with a hard value (say 100-off 127-on) then when I go to turn it off there's a chance that it could be too soft or too loud. that is why i would need a reference value that is an addition to the current value rather than a movement within (if that makes any sense). do you understand my predicament?

I guess if there is no such workaround I would have to learn to control my fader movements on-the-fly.
Old 2013-04-29, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory05 View Post
Thx for your reply.

Just so you're aware those numbers (20db and 20%) are just numbers I plucked from .... ;-) The reason I am looking in this direction is because when I play live I may use a fader to get a level and the value may change for each song (due to whatever is going on onstage) so if I got a button with a hard value (say 100-off 127-on) then when I go to turn it off there's a chance that it could be too soft or too loud. that is why i would need a reference value that is an addition to the current value rather than a movement within (if that makes any sense). do you understand my predicament?

I guess if there is no such workaround I would have to learn to control my fader movements on-the-fly.
What I suggested is exactly this, a way to ADD a preset amount of gain to ANY signal regardless of it's initial gain. Check it out! :-)
USA
Old 2013-04-30, 20:27

I had some time to kill while waiting for my 7 download.

Try this.
Create the combinator and linemixer as selig said.
Then insert a SpiderAudio between the instrument/input and the linemixer.
Split the signal into the linemixer (atleast two channels), and then assign the mute buttons for one of the combinator buttons. Catch my drift? At default you'll double the signal, but then you can tweak it to your taste.
Now you have one signal, that you can amplify that is dependent on only one signal.

This also gives room for you to add distunits or whatever to further enhance the sound of your solos.
Hope I'm not to far off with this

Only 21% left of my download now!
Old 2013-05-06, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
What I suggested is exactly this, a way to ADD a preset amount of gain to ANY signal regardless of it's initial gain. Check it out! :-)
Hey thx for your reply again. After reading the post after yours and then going cross-eyed for a little while I finally understood what you were getting at. Cheers for the help
Old 2013-05-06, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitoProd View Post
This also gives room for you to add distunits or whatever to further enhance the sound of your solos.
Thnks for your response. I think this is closer to what I was after. Appreciate your help.
Old 2013-05-07, 22:30

Glad I could help
Old 2013-05-07, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitoProd View Post
I had some time to kill while waiting for my 7 download.

Try this.
Create the combinator and linemixer as selig said.
Then insert a SpiderAudio between the instrument/input and the linemixer.
Split the signal into the linemixer (atleast two channels), and then assign the mute buttons for one of the combinator buttons. Catch my drift? At default you'll double the signal, but then you can tweak it to your taste.
Now you have one signal, that you can amplify that is dependent on only one signal.

Only 21% left of my download now!
This is an improvement over my initial idea, great suggestion! :-)
USA
Old 2013-05-10, 16:54

It takes a genious to recognize another haha Thanks