Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-05-01, 10:27

Reason behind odd price structure for 7?

I wonder if someone could explain the odd price structure of Reason 7. I have just discovered that Amazon (and other stores) are selling the physical package for £89 incl p.p, whereas Propellerhead charged me £113 for the (very, very slow) download option. I would have thought that the reverse situation would be more logical/fairer? If I’d known this to be the case yesterday, I would have waited the extra day or two for the cheaper packaged DVD version. It took most of yesterday to download anyway!
Old 2013-05-01, 10:33

Wish I had know this too...I think we should all ask for a refund for the difference
Old 2013-05-01, 10:35

I am not upgrading until this is not clarified, I would like to avoid the physical package but it sounds really strange I have to pay more buying the download version, after all I am gonna receive "less"...

Waiting
Old 2013-05-01, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by slung92 View Post
I wonder if someone could explain the odd price structure of Reason 7. I have just discovered that Amazon (and other stores) are selling the physical package for £89 incl p.p, whereas Propellerhead charged me £113 for the (very, very slow) download option. I would have thought that the reverse situation would be more logical/fairer? If I’d known this to be the case yesterday, I would have waited the extra day or two for the cheaper packaged DVD version. It took most of yesterday to download anyway!
This is the way it is, always will be...

PH and all other companies making software cannot/should not compete with the ones helping them sell their products.
Look at Audiodeluxe and compare with the original companies prices.

Last edited by Smedberg; 2013-05-01 at 10:43.
Old 2013-05-01, 16:37

Amazon and other big retailers get to buy at wholesale prices. Take a book for example. They buy the book from the publisher for half of the publishers "suggested retail price". They can then opt to sell the book to consumers for whatever price they like. They could sell it for less than wholesale price as a loss leader to draw in business. They lose some money but they hope to make it up on other sales. Or, more likely they sale it for something between wholesale and suggested retail. Publishers on the other hand will always sale the book retail for their suggested retail price.

Same goes with Propellerhead. They sold the DVD version to Amazon for a wholesale price. Amazon then priced it such that they were happy with their profit. It just so happens that this price is less than Propellerhead's suggested retail price which is the price Propellerhead sells for.

If Propellerhead were to sell to consumers for the something closer to the wholesale price then Amazon, Sweetwater, etc would have no incentive (profit margin) to carry their products.
Old 2013-05-01, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carodani76 View Post
I am not upgrading until this is not clarified
I'm not sure how that would work.

meanwhile, this pricing is not new to reason 7, it's always been that way.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-05-01, 18:58

My Amazon shows full price of $129...what gives?
Old 2013-05-01, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by u88gbp View Post
My Amazon shows full price of $129...what gives?
You would pay the equivalent of £83. People who use £s to pay for stuff are paying £89. People who use that Euro nonsense are paying £109.
You have it good no matter what you do.

Grum.

Last edited by Grumbleweed; 2013-05-01 at 20:19.
Old 2013-05-02, 00:12

I'm feeling a bit ripped off too. having just paid £109 for R7 download, only to find I could have had the DVD version from Amazon for £89.

And I've still not managed to download it successfully.
Old 2013-05-02, 00:53

The lesson is to shop around before you purchase. Smedberg & Woodsse have explained economic model perfectly.