Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-05-06, 17:29

Processor question for R7

I'm building a computer exclusively for Reason 7. Can someone give me a performance breakdown between i5 and i7 processors AS IT PERTAINS TO R7?

I'm reading a lot of comparisons in the context of gaming and 3D rendering, but does R7 experience a significant performance boost?

I've spec'ed out 32gb of RAM and no bells or whistles that might bog the system down. The CPU is the last thing. I know i7 would be the "logical" choice, but I'd like to hear from you guys (and girls).
Old 2013-05-06, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrhee View Post
I'm building a computer exclusively for Reason 7. Can someone give me a performance breakdown between i5 and i7 processors AS IT PERTAINS TO R7?

I'm reading a lot of comparisons in the context of gaming and 3D rendering, but does R7 experience a significant performance boost?

I've spec'ed out 32gb of RAM and no bells or whistles that might bog the system down. The CPU is the last thing. I know i7 would be the "logical" choice, but I'd like to hear from you guys (and girls).
i7 Hyperthreads and will perform much better (i5 does not Hyperthread). Reason uses Hyperthreading for everything with the exception of rendering audio. An i7 would be a logical choice for a machine where you want the best performance - as in a DAW - but you'll obviously pay for it. 32 GB of RAM sounds awesome (I'm jealous)!
Old 2013-05-06, 19:18

Hi,

Your best bet is to go for:

3770K i7 or 2700K i5.

A lot of us here are using the 3770K and it handles Reason perfectly. It's also worth remembering that having a good Audio friendly Motherboard is essential too. The Asus Z77 range are all excellent and worth every penny. At the end of the day, your quality and performance are as good as your worst bit of gear...

My build is: Asus Z77 MB, i7 3770K, 16GB Ram, AMD HD 7700 Graphics card (0dB) and W7 Professional x64. All the components I'm using are 0dB or as good as, thanks to the environment I work in (home studio). The 3rd Gen processors can be easily over clocked in the BIOS if that's your thing.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if you need too.

Keep us updated on what you do

Matt
Old 2013-05-07, 04:11

How about this bad boy?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...or#tab-reviews

Seems like a good price for what you get. Anyone know if Reason 7 would use all 6 cores?
Old 2013-05-07, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by u88gbp View Post
How about this bad boy?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...or#tab-reviews

Seems like a good price for what you get. Anyone know if Reason 7 would use all 6 cores?
Ugh... WANT. Except for the fact that my Sabertooth Z77 is an LGA 1155 board. Man.. I wish they'd make a 6-core in LGA1155. Anyway - yes - Reason would use all 6 cores. The more the merrier.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Ugh... WANT. Except for the fact that my Sabertooth Z77 is an LGA 1155 board. Man.. I wish they'd make a 6-core in LGA1155. Anyway - yes - Reason would use all 6 cores. The more the merrier.
Good to know. May sell my current build to start a new monster...
Old 2013-05-07, 04:57

OP...try this build out for size

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VyuX
Old 2013-05-07, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
i7 Hyperthreads and will perform much better (i5 does not Hyperthread). Reason uses Hyperthreading for everything with the exception of rendering audio. An i7 would be a logical choice for a machine where you want the best performance - as in a DAW - but you'll obviously pay for it. 32 GB of RAM sounds awesome (I'm jealous)!
I don't think reason uses HT. I have i7 and it only uses 3 physical cores.
Old 2013-05-07, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemo View Post
I don't think reason uses HT. I have i7 and it only uses 3 physical cores.
Irrelevant anyway, hyperthreading is just one of the many many features in modern processors, and it's overhyped and dubbed as some sort of magical effect that provides huge speed increases. That is not the case. The P4 prescott also had hyperthreading and we all know how THAT turned out.

But hey, if you stick in 32 Gb of RAM, you might as well get the most expensive CPU, right? Myself, I'm using an i5 for about 2 years now and it hasn't bogged down once.

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2013-05-07, 09:43

if you want to really have much power, you build something like this:

2x Socket 2011 for 2x Xeon 6-core-cpus
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/

or for a very extreme way this one
4x Socket 2011